• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello and Thanks

Thank you to DustyKat who invited me from another thread.

I am Dillon's Mom. He was diagnosed in June of 2009. I had started back to college, and it was too late to quit without a degree, so this whole time of finding our way through all of the drug trials and errors and learning how to deal with Crohn's, I've been trying to keep my head above water in college. It has been a really long and difficult road, but we seem to have a decent drug regimine now so Dillon seems to be doing better. He's taking Sulfasalazine, Mercaptopurine, Prilosec, Vitamine D, and Folic Acid.

Dillon is my middle child. He's now a senior in high school and taking some community college courses as well to get a jump start on college. He's really a positive kiddo. He rarely complains, and does very well in school despite all the absenteeism. He is on the academic team and is taking several AP courses. He has a really great core set of friends who are all supportive of him. His girlfriend is WONDERFUL! She took care of him after an accident at a professional football game this past fall and moved up so high on my chart that others will have a really tough time catching her. He couldn't make it in time (and refuses to take his e-pak anywhere), so she asked for the windows to be rolled down in the car on the way home and asked for fast food hoping to disguise the smell from her aunt and uncle who had taken them to the game. She's aces.

Anyway, Dillon and I both graduate this spring. It has been tough trying to get through everything, but we're so happy to be graduating! On the home front, I have two other boys who never seem to get sick. This concerns me because that was the one thing that we noticed with Dillon. My younger one has been sick some growing up, but my oldest hasn't had so much as a cold in years. Retrospectively, after Dillon was diagnosed, we realized that he had never been sick, so it concerns us that we are seeing that pattern with our oldest. It's easy to obsess and freak out once you've been down a road like this one.

One more thing about our Dillon is that this is his second disease. He also has a bone disease which causes him to not be able to have a very active lifestyle. He spent most of his 7th grade year in a wheelchair and has had more surgeries than I can count. He has physical pain with several of the chondromas that are entangled with nerves in his legs and arms. There is nothing we can do about the ones that are entangled with nerves. The doctor said that it would be too risky to remove them, so he'll have to live with them. Like I said in another post though, CD is the worst of the two by far.

I am glad to finally have a little time to look into some support groups though. College has kept me from being able to take the time.

Angrybird

Hello and :welcome: Well done to both of you for gettng to graduation, I am sure there were times where maybe did not seem possible. I think it is wonderful that Dillon as good friends around him, this is soo important and really takes away the feeling of isolation that you can sometimes get with this disease, I think the fact that it involves the bum area makes is a taboo subject for many even in this day and age. Would you say the crohns is now fully under control or are the meds stlll kicking in so he has a few grumbles?

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I am so glad to hear Dillon is doing so well. And congrats to both of you on your graduations - how exciting!

Dillon sounds like a great young man, especially being that he has more to deal with than the average teen. It's wonderful that he has such a good attitude.

I hope Dillon continues to do well!

AngryBird - I'm not sure what "fully under control" looks like because this disease is so difficult. There are so many ups and downs with it. Even though we have been working and dealing with it since '09, I still feel like I don't know what "normal" is.