• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi im new to the site, recently diagnosed after 8 years

hi im new to the site, recently diagnosed after 8 years

hi i just discovered this site after searching my new prescripton in google and its already been handy :) forum looks great! i'm not sure what to write but i'l just say hi and about me n my ibd.

i am 25, and have recently been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis / proctitis.

when i was little i remember having problems with urgency and dihorea, it kind of went away when i was about 10, but came back when i was 17... worse.
i had just stopped taking recreational drugs at the time after a bit of a problem... so i thought it was that, but it continued (and hasn't stopped). at the time it was mainly urgency in the morning, dihorea and mucus which really scared me at the time.. when i first went to the doctor about it he said it was probably caused by my anxiety/depression i was going through. it did get worse when anxious so i believed him. i did buy loperamide hydrochloride (immodium) since it started again at 17 and the doctor just said to use that when it was bad.

A few years afterwards (still trying to live with the problem) anxiety and depression got worse (a lot to do with trying to live with it) and i started using drugs again and drinking daily. got hooked on prescription drugs too. obviously this made it worse and also made it impossible to go for a colonoscopy, nerves got the better of me every time as i was finding it hard to leave the house anyway, and no alcohol was allowed 24 hours before colonoscopy. by now there was mucus, bleeding and pain. still taking loperamide hydrochloride daily and also co-codamol 30/500

i got fed up with being ill and not being able to do anything about it last year so got into rehab for 4 and a half months to sort myself out mentally and physically. been out 6 months and symptoms are a lot better without the drink etc and not so nervous about the losing control in public thing after having therapy. but still loose urgent stools with mucus, black patches, and still a bit of blood (even with the immodium and codeine). so i went for the colonoscopy .. finally.. and the doctor found ulcerative colitis that may be proctitis due to its location.

they have prescribed me 1mg PENTASA suppositories twice daily.. and i picked them up today. i know how important it is to take them and i will.. but ive decided to start them week after next. i am a bit worried about side effects with them. so im leaving it untill i have a few days i can get away with staying at home incase. have any of you had side effects with this medication?

sorry i've gone on a bit... it's my first post so i've got a lot to say! :)
thanks for reading

also i was reading on here earlier about diet and things. i am a vegetarian but have found after 8 years of trying, cutting foods out and changing diet hasn't made much difference FOR ME so i've given up trying.. i know with some people it helps.

David

Co-Founder
Hi there! A most hearty welcome to you :) It's understandable that you're concerned about side effects though Pentasa is one of the milder drugs for most people. I'd take a look at our Pentasa support forum and ask any specific questions regarding Pentasa you have, in there.

We're here for you anytime. Again, welcome!

hi there prisoner2theporcelin (love the name by the way!) welcome to the forum!
sounds like you've had a bit of a rough ride, but at least you can put a name to whats going on with your body... i hope the pentasa works for you and eases your symptoms.

keep us updated and let us know how you get on :)

thanks very much for replying! i just had a flick through the pentasa threads but there wasn't anyone talking about suppositories.. so i posted a thread to see if anyone can tell me anything.. i did read the bit that came with them but they are always full of possibilities that are usually unlikely.. so i think here is a better place to get the info. i know how forums work and will start replying to other posts as soon as i start the medication. although it has been going on for so long i still feel new to it all now ive had a diagnosis. thanks again :)

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :bigwave: It is never great to be diagnosed with an IBD but it is good to get a name to the problem. Well done you for taking control and getting to the stage that you could have the scope you needed :) I have been on Pentesa but in tablet form, this was right at the start of my diagnosis too. I don't remember having any issues with it although I was soon back on steroids and stronger meds because I flared again. I will keep my fingers crossed that ths does the trick for you. Please keep us updated on how you are getting on.