• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ileostomy or resectioning?

How many of you have had an ileostomy takedown? Would any of you choose the bag over getting reconnected?

Last edited:

maria

I love you God.
If they called and said How fast can you get here to get reconnected.. I would be ready and waiting in the O.R waiting area by the time we got off the phone :)

LOSTnut

Poopy
If they could guarantee success of the reconnect, I'd be there in a heart beat. But, since that is not the case I am quite torn because right now with the bag I actually feel the best that I have in years. And, I had a failed resection ... so I guess I am also a little scared because the recovery from emergency surgery was hellish.

I'm sorry girls. I know it's hard living with the bag..Trust me..mine filled up with air and leaked a lot. I'm glad that you feel better now that you have the bag. Why did your resection fail? I think I'm spitting stitches..I have a pic in my last surgery post. I'm happy other than having the stitches pulling through my skin. The hole keeps getting bigger. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow.

LOSTnut

Poopy
Nobody is really sure. I had planned surgery to remove a recurring fistula. While they were in there they took out some ileum and descending colon. It is assumed that they didn't cut out enough of the infected area. And now, since I still have a draining fistula I am pretty much in the same boat again. With a resection they would have to remove another fistula ... and I am just scared. My surgeon somewhat agrees that with the problem of the recurring fistulas there might be a chance that the resection might fail again.
And, with the emergency surgery they took out more ileum and a lot more colon.

Wow! I really hope they don't keep reoccuring. :( I would definitely stick with the bag. I've only had one fistula and it is very scary. Crohn's itself is scary, that's why it's good to know and talk to people who understand and have been through the same or similar situations. Hang in there!