• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story/IBD and the Military

I started having chronic diarrhea and stomach pains while I was deployed in the Middle East. I went for 6 months without really getting anything done, the dr didn't take it seriously, suggested I not complain because I would have to be flown to Germany for evaluation and that would cause me all sorts of hell.

So after returning home I was referred to a GI. He did a colonoscopy, found inflammation and diagnosed me with UC. He started me on Apriso (Mesalamine) and sent me on my business. I felt like I couldn't get through to the GI, he wouldn't do anything when my symptoms were getting severe not going away.

I ended up going to get a second opinion from another 'hotshot' GI in another town. By this time my symptoms had finally subsided. This was a cocky young Dr, he did a colonoscopy and told me he didn't find anything, it was just IBS. I saw him about 3 times and he actually laughed that the first dr had diagnosed UC. He never took my flare-ups seriously, I booked appt's to see him, he didn't want to bother with seeing me.

Symptoms came back two-fold and I was referred to see the first guy again. My dr wanted me to see the GI in town. So we did a quick colonoscopy, upper and lower endoscopies. He found lots of inflammation and ulcers in my colon and duodenum, which I guess is from reflux. The biopsies came back and they were positive for Chrohn's.

So I was kicked out of the Air Force for my first diagnosis of UC. It wasn't all bad though, I went through the military's new medical board process and they decided on permanent medical retirement. So I'm now out and we've got full benefits and health insurance for me and my family.

I just got notified today when my GI called me about the Crohn's diagnosis. So now I'm finally moving into the right direction. Hopefully I'll get some help and we can get over these issues.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: to the forum! You had a nasty was of getting dx's. I have the "there is nothing there it is all in your head".. Ya just wanna punch them out! I am glad you finally got an answer though. Some get easy diagnoses some take years. Not all meds work for everyone, sometimes you have to find your little miracle, whether it be meds or diet.

Many here to help you some from the military. I wish you and your family all the best!

Glad you got a diagnosis and hopefully can get on the right treatment plan. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for your service to our country. You are an outstanding fighter and no doubt you can fight this disease. Best wishes to you and your family.

husband 35 years w/crohns/military

Hi im new to the forum but not to Crohns or the military. my husband was diagnosed in 1971 while over in phillipines he collapsed on ship. was in oaknal naval hospital for 6 months surgery (exploritory) then there was no "test" nothing showed on exrays. then the only thing was exploritory laprotomy now 35 years later well thats a long story. need any support, or help w/governtment hit me up. with military they dont tell you alot that i had to find out on own. suh as going to dr's to putting kids thru college on the chapter 35 dea program for dependents. I have alot of info both on crohns or military so please dont hesitate to ask. love & Peace

Welcome! Sorry to hear your diagnosis, but hopefully you will be on your way to feeling better with treatment. I too would like to thank you for your service! :thumright: So glad to hear you have health benefits!

Hi im new to the forum but not to Crohns or the military. my husband was diagnosed in 1971 while over in phillipines he collapsed on ship. was in oaknal naval hospital for 6 months surgery (exploritory) then there was no "test" nothing showed on exrays. then the only thing was exploritory laprotomy now 35 years later well thats a long story. need any support, or help w/governtment hit me up. with military they dont tell you alot that i had to find out on own. suh as going to dr's to putting kids thru college on the chapter 35 dea program for dependents. I have alot of info both on crohns or military so please dont hesitate to ask. love & Peace
hi viki i am in the british army and going through a medical board, any info that i could use to get some compensation from the army would be great. please Pm me ..many thanks