• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Member - My long waffling story !!

Hello !!

Get ready for the waffle !!

I am a 33 year old mum of 3 living in Cheshire.

In 2001 when pregnant with my eldest I had Diarhoea for the first few months of pregnancy which my GP said was just "morning sickness" from the wrong end:tongue:

I fell pregnant again when he was 3 months old:eek2: and developed chronic diarhoea, pain, exhaustion e.t.c and lost a stone in 2 weeks. Initially the GP said it was food poisoning and told me to starve for a few days adding "it's not like you don't need to lose weight":ybatty:

2 weeks later and another stone lighter I was admitted to hospital due to concerns over such violent diarhoea and pregnancy. This was my worst nightmare as I had a 5 month old baby to leave at home. The tests started off with various "fingers up bum" which to this day I do not see the point of at all:ymad: They then did a gall bladder and liver scan which were negative.

Then they sent me for an endoscopy which was hell on earth as I was not allowed any sedative due to being pregnant. They discovered Crohn's ulcers everywhere and put me on Prednisilone and Salofalk. The relief was amazing - to have a label to the symptoms was a big relief and the meds worked within 2-3 days and I even went to Tennerife a few days after the diagnosis.

Apparantly it is very unusual for pregnancy to trigger Crohn's as the opposite is usually true with sufferers going into remission when pregnant.

I was monitored closely throughout the pregnancy to check the baby'y growth due to steroids and aso weaned off the steroids. In Feb 2003 my little girl was born by c-section after becoming distressed - totally un-related to my illness.

When she was 3 months old I had a major flare up - apparantly the GP was expecting it as 3 months post birth is a big trigger fro Crohn's flare ups as the hormone surge triggers it. I went back onto Steroids and was on them fro around 7-8 months.

Then the Crohn's stopped flaring but was not in remission - i was not having chronic flare ups but i had a lot of pain, wind e.t.c and relied on codeine to go out. I also tried the Elemental diet whci was amazing and got rid of all symptoms but on re-introducing food things got worse. Following the diet permenantly was never going to work.

I then joined NACC as a telephone support line volunteer.

I was tried on Azaothiapine for a while but it did nothing. After a colonoscopy in 2004 it was decided that surgery to remove the scarred part of my bowel would help - because i was in a chronic flare for so long before treatment the ulcers had been very severe and had left a lot of scar tissue which was causing problems.

In March 2005 I had a hemi-colectomy where they removed 2 foot of large, 2 foot of small intestine also threw in a free appendectomy as that was in the middle !!

The relief was instant - all the joint pain i had been plagued with vanished and my energy levels went throught the roof !! No smelly wind either !

I then became pregnant in 2006 and my youngest was born in October 2006 - throught the pregnancy i followed a low fibre diet which helped a lot and also my consultant said the fact that it was a boy helped as apparantly carrying a girl affects Crohn's more than boys.

All was fine until Jan 08 when i started getting joint pain in my hands, feet and wrists. I was under a lot of stress at this point. I was having loads of blood tests for arthritis e.t.c. Then my bowels started getting a bit painful and more frequent toilet trips. This all rumbled on for a while until i hit a major flare up around 4 weeks ago - i was still in denial and adamant i did not need steroids.

After spending from 3am till 8am on the toilet and becoming more and more dehyrated i admitted defeat an was put onto prednisilone 30 mg.

Thing improved and i am now reducing 5mg a week - although this weeks drop to 20mg seems to have upset things slightly.

I am going for a colonocsopy next week to ascertain where the flare up is and they will then tailor meds to that.

I am really pissed off that it has come back but hoping it was caught early enough.

Weirdly the joint pain went when the bowels exploded - my consultant thinks the joint pain was the Crohn's beginning it's journey:eek:

My biggest worry is being admitted as with three kids who are 6,5 and 1 that's not a good option - my hubby is amazing though and takes on the lions share of everything when i am ill.

Hope to chat to everyone soon.

Clare
x

butt-eze

Superstar
Welcome!
Your kids are gorgeous!!! Congratulations on staying strong enough to continue your dream of having a family.

I would have to say that it sounds like your doctor is opinionated to say the least. Not that I am the norm but my first major flare was in my first and third trimester of pregnancy (my first and last pregnancy). It continued after the pregnancy. I was diagnosed one month after he was born. As for his weird opinion about the sex of the baby making crohn's better or worse....um ok!?! It sounds like he may have just been making statements that sounded good but weren't backed by any facts. Oh well, they are all here and healthy (and adorable!)

It is a common misconception that crohn's is cured through surgery. It is very likely that you are having a flare again, unfortunately.

I hope you find a great deal of support through this forum. There are people here that are very knowledgeable and have helped me understand my situation a lot better.

Welcome,

Amy

hiya clare, & welcome :)

aw what beautiful kiddies you have! absolutely adorable :D

sorry to hear of all the ups and downs you've had with Crohns - i have heard both stories, that Crohns calms down during pregnancy, but i also know someone who flared greatly right through two pregnancies. i guess its different for each person.

anyway, its good to have you here. looking forward to seeing you around the forum :)

butt-eze said:
It is a common misconception that crohn's is cured through surgery. It is very likely that you are having a flare again, unfortunately.
This is the exact reason my Consultant is trying everything before recommending surgery.

He says that it's not only possible for Crohn's to 'migrate' to another section of the bowel, it's almost inevitable.

Welcome to the forums by the way. What area of Cheshire are you from if you don't mind me asking? I'm a local too! :)

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Hey Fruitloop,

Have answered your thoughts on other threads so thought I best say welcome and hello!

Nice to see another from the UK. Keep posting and asking!