• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Which way?

which way?

Hi guys, I found this forum a few days ago, and have been reading some success stories with alternative treatments. I've had Crohn's for 15 years, diagnosed at 22 after some serious stress in my life. I mostly avoided these forums until now because it made me depressed reading about all the problems people have for years and no cure. But now I'm sitting home after having my 3rd surgery on Jan 21st (1st resection in 2000, bowel obstruction in 2004, resection now) and I think I'm ready to reach out. After I got diagnosed, which involved a stay in the hospital, I was on Asacol, pentasa, tried 6MP - didn't go well, lots of prednisone and antibiotics, some homeopathic medicine, a few more stays in the hospital to rest the bowels. I had my first child in 1999, and a few months later I developed an abscess that had to be drained and followed by bowel resection. I then had a few good years, when I had a bowel obstruction due to lesions and scar tissue on the outside of the bowel.

The surgeon then said that the Crohn's looks good. So I didn't take any meds for a while, stayed on low fat diet, mostly without veggies. After having my 2nd child in 2005, I started having IBS symptoms - diarrhea without any reason - mostly anxiety based. I stayed home for 3 years because I couldn't leave the house, I had about 20 sec lead time to make it to the bathroom, and we also lost our ins at that time. I found a holistic doctor that gave me some supplements that somewhat helped with diarrhea, and went back to work, so I could get medical ins. My new GI put me on Wellcol - cholesterol drug with constipation side effect - which also helped a bit, but i still took imodium and zanax every time I had to go anywhere. Finally I developed joint pain and fluid in my knees and went to see a Rheumatologist, who put me on sulfasalazine and then on methotrexate.

That still didn't prevent me from having 2 bad flares in the last year. I did that for 1.5 years, then went to see an internist with a holistic approach -he did a lot of bloodwork, and wanted to check for food allergies and bacteria in stool, but i didn't get to that. Saw a nutritionist at his office who put me on paleo diet in Dec 2011. So I was gluten, dairy, corn and soy free for a month, my D almost disappeared (once a week in 4 weeks). But I stated having pain and ended up having surgery 3 weeks ago. I have to say I don't normally have pain, just cramps and diarrhea, and weight loss, when I flare. Also, I am now prone to boils, maybe due to some meds i've been taking, and my surgeon just cut them out on Friday. He said I cannot be on any immuno-suppressants until it heals, and then it will still make me more susceptible to them. My GI however is pressing to start Humira as soon as I heal from the surgery, he thinks beginning or March. He also says it doesn't matter what I eat, but I found most GIs say that.

I lost 10lb, and now down to 90lb after surgery. I'm trying to gain weight and while I was still eating Paleo after surgery, I tried some wheat crackers a few days ago, and had Ensure today, which I find was a big mistake, as I now have D again, and my tummy hurts. So, to finish this novel - I'm scared to go on Humira due to side effects, and scared that diet alone will not prevent me from having inflammation. The surgeon told me I had a pinhole in my small bowel for years due to scar tissue - inflammation that was treated and scarred over and over. I have a couple of weeks left to decide. Thanks for listening.

David

Co-Founder
Hi linkin and welcome! I'm glad you finally decided to join us here! Various things:

1. Since you may go on Humira, I'd suggest checking out our Humira Support Forum. That may help with some of your concerns and answer other questions.

2. That's fantastic that you're doing well with the Paleo Diet. I hope it continues to help you.

3. I assume your resections were around the ileum/terminal ileum? Have you had your vitamin B12, folate, and vitamin D levels checked lately, if at all?

All my best to you :)

thank you Mickey, I've been so private with my problems for so long, it feels good to share.

David, thank you for the links, I'll check them out. You are right - they have removed the ileum, and my last doctor checked my blood-work - I take Folic Acid, Vitamin D, iron, and will start on other supplements he gave me soon.

My GI also suggested Lialda for now, until he does colonoscopy and puts me on Humira, but I haven't decided yet. I guess I'm feeling uneasy about wanting to try alternative methods while the doctors insist on something like Humira. The surgeon says that he took everything out and I'm Crohns free for the moment, so I don't understand the urgency to start powerful drugs.

Angrybird

Hello there and welcome :hug: I am glad you have decided to join us. I think you may have found one of the few docs who are thinking of trying to prevent a relapse rather than reacting to one. Most docs would see that you crohns is ok at the moment and just leave you to it, also because you have a narrowing already with scar tissue, if you did flare up and this got inflammed and built up ven more scar tissue you could then perhaps need more surgery.... this is just one potential way to look at things. I completely understand your understand hesitancy howeve, have a really good look at the Humira forum and chat with the doc more before deciding anything, if you are still unure wait and then re-asses in a little while depending how you are feeling. Do not feel pressured by the doc to start something like this. When is your colonoscopy booked for?