• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Surgery scheduled in March, need support

Hi..I'm new to this forum and am looking for some support. I have had UC forf 40 years. I have had flareups off and on thru the years and have taken steroids and lots of other drugs continually. At my last colonoscopy my dr said my colon looked like mush, and even though I feel good right now I went to see a surgeon about an elective ileostomy. He said that the chances of cancer and other risks due to the steroids thru the years makes me a good candidate for the surgery, My problem is I'm scared to death because I'm doing it electively. Is there anyone else out there with a similar situation? Thank you..Sue D.

Astra

Hiya Sue
and welcome

I'm not one of them, but there are loads on here who have!
Check out the sub forum 'stoma forum', lots of friendly peeps in there for you who will answer your questions.
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Angrybird

Hello Sue and :welcome: I suppose my op was elective, it was not an emergency situation, but I had a stricture that was only going to get worse not better so it did need to come out at some point. It is disappointing that it came to this but I do consider myself lucky that it took 9yrs to get to this point, I also did not have to have a bag. I would definetly recommend that you check out our stoma sub forum, this way you can look at others experiences andthey can answer any questions you may have, I am sure that for a far few their ops were elective as well.

From a purely personal point of view I would much prefer to have chosen to have the op so I can plan for it as much as possble both mentally and physically. To have it thrust upon me because it's got to emergency 'status' is not a place I would like to visit.

I am sorry you have to face this decision hun, let us know how you get on.

Jessi

:welcome: to the forum, Sue. :)

I'm sorry to hear of your ugly scope results. It's good that you're feeling well. I think that could really play in your favor for surgery recovery. I haven't had any surgery myself, but several friends here opt for it as treatment.

As Astra mentioned, the Stoma Forum is a good place to start.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Also, you may want to check out the Surgery For Treatment Forum.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71

I wish you the best of luck with this big decision. :hug: Someday, I may be making that choice, as well. I hope to see you around. :)

Hi I had my bag fitted 2 years ago as an emergency but had to have my colon removed back in nov as I had bad perianal fistulas that couldn't be healed. This was part elective in the fact I was sick of trying things that weren't working and we were just putting off the inevitable. I have never felt better! The first few weeks were tough but I can honestly say I was surprised how quickly I felt well again.