• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How long after surgery

I am having resection surgery tomorrow! Surgeon wanted me off my Humira for at least a month prior to surgery! It's been a little over 5 weeks since I took my last shot! Wondering when I can start back up on my Humira after surgery? I'm sure every doctor is different and is case/patient but just curious ?

I'm worried about building up antibodies !

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Good luck on your resection! I am sending you healing wishes and that you heal fast. As for the question, I would say you maybe able to but I would think something milder would be better? Keep us posted on how you are doing ok! Hugs!

Good luck with the surgery! I hope you have a quick and full recovery.

I don't know about restarting Humira. My doctor took me off before my surgery and now doesn't have me on any maintenance meds. Your doctor may feel differently about your treatment. That would be the person to ask.

If I recall correctly from the clinical trials, only .02% of people build anitbodies to Humira. Unlike Remicade where just about all people build antibodies.

But you are correct, it is always best to check with your own doctor!

Hope your surgery went well!
Wow, seriously!? I know you are recollecting but I would LOVE to see the source for this. I have never heard anyone give hard numbers before.

suschex

Suzanne
I will find it...I have all that info saved but need to find that stat...I should have done that before posting...sorry!

I do know that one reason my GI decided Humira instead of Remicade for me was that exact reason...so we had the option to go off and back whereas Remicade once you start it is an always or never again situation.

Let me get the kids to bed and then I will start looking!

suschex

Suzanne
I was off on the percentage. It is not .02% but is 2.6%. I still feel that is very low. I am sorry I went by memory...should have double checked first. Here is the quote and the link to the Clinical Trial Results.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2701613/?log$=activity

"The percentage of patients developing antibodies to the human antibody adalimumab was low (7/269, 2.6%). It should be acknowledged that this small study lacked adequate statistical power to estimate accurately how often antibodies developed to adalimumab compared with placebo, or to explore whether concomitant immunosuppression with azathioprine, 6‐mercaptopurine, or methotrexate was protective. However, the results for the total number of patients exposed to adalimumab show that the immunogenicity of adalimumab in patients with Crohn's disease is modest. "

The above quote was in the last paragraph of the "Discussion" section of the report.

It has been a few months since I read the complete study (as well as the other studies) but can tell you it is full of really great info. If you take a look at the entire study it will even discuss what they have found for those taking multiple therapies as well as for those with RA as opposed to Crohn's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I turned your link into a link.

Thank you for tracking that info down for me so quickly! That's really cool and good to know!