• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Nausea in the early days

Sorry for going on but did anyone suffer nausea in the first few weeks after surgery? I don't mean actually vomiting just a nauseous feeling, my appetite is quite good but I don't think my Colon is working properly yet as my output is just like what my ileo was hoping it will remain longer in the system soon.

Terriernut

I think if I hadnt still been on such a high dose of pred my nausea couldve been worse. But oh yes, I was nauseous. I also have to say, I may have a colostomy, but I am frequently with the big D. After surgery, I had alot of it. In fact, mine is still so bad, I just tell suppliers I have an ileo because thats what my output is like.

You really need to watch what you are eating to begin with. Can you give us a low down of what you are eating? Also, how much liquid you are drinking? You may think drinking water will help, but you may need to drink powerade on occasion, or something like it to help. Dehydration causes big D, which leads to more dehydration, and on we go!

Terriernut

Bananas. You will enjoy them I hope. And rice. You can also start adding some green beans perhaps, just a bit at a time. Dont be afraid to eat a bit of fiber. A bit. Because that will thicken you up a tad. Go slow.

You are like me, impatient with your body. Well, your body needs to catch up to your brain. You have been through two major surgeries in a very short time! Your body is knackered! Keep a log of what you are eating and what your output is. You also need to keep the Dr's updated on how it is all going.

Are you getting some help at home?

Just whatever help the wife is lol I would agree with you though I want my strength back now and want back to work and try and forget all this shit for a while.

Terriernut

You'll get there! But not until your body says so! Thats the bad bit. The loss of control. The more upset and impatient you get, the slower you will recover, because you will push too hard. To be honest, with those major surgeries, if you push too hard, you will end up like me with a parastomal hernia that is big enough to ask to vote! So...one hour at a time!

I'm glad you have a wife that is there for you! Give her a hug. You are a big guy and you dont like this. But life is teaching you patience. And when I learn it myself, I'll let you in on the secret.
:heart:

I had horrendous nausea post op. Delirious with nausea. Nothing could control it.
I would get the occasional release from the the nausea by vomiting (I even vomited up the NG tube).
It was like an unexpected descent in to hell. I hated it. It felt like it would never end.

Terriernut

Big Truck, dont look back. You have to move forward, and everyday should be showing you tiny bits of improvement. Dont let anything beat you! When is your next Dr appt?

I was fairly nauseous...part of it was caused by the pain meds. Have you got access to some motion sickness pills? I found them to be helpful. I was also ordering ginger chicken from the chinese restaurant near the hospital and having them deliver it to my room. I know, cheeky, but the hospital food was crap, and my partner's cooking abilities stretched to peanut butter sandwiches (delicious, but boring...but hey, protein is protein!).

Patience is the only thing you can hang on to right now. If it's any consolation (and I'm sure it won't be!), I was in hospital for almost a couple of months, steadily going around the bend. Just keep drinking lots of water, eating as much as you can...

Kismet

Next appt with doc in couple of weeks but going to try and see stoma nurse on mon cos Harry seems a bit sunken but could be my imagination, not much of him sticks out in fact he's nearly flush with my skin but stoma nurse told me he was fine and was like that cos he is a loop colostomty,and hopefully when he settles he should be passing pretty thick stool, on plus side nausea seems to be easing.
Kismet thanks for your wise words.