• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dehydration loose output

Hi guys sorry for being nusciance but I was wondering if dehydration actually causes looser output? I think I read it somewhere thanks in advance. Ryan.

Hey Ryan

Short, quick answer is "yes"! It seems weird, but you actually lose more water when you don't have enough water. It's a vicious little cycle. Keep yourself hydrated!! Seriously. And if possible, try drinking some Gatorade or whatever the equivalent sort of sports drink you can get access to. It will help keep your electrolytes steady while you're having looser output. Oh, and eat a banana!

Kismet

P.S. You're not a nuisance! The early days, when your head is ready to snap, are the hardest...just keep checking in...!

I hate sports drinks so a nutritionist suggested drinking some sort of broth or other salty soup, and as Kismet said, eat a banana.

Yes, there are different brands, some better than others, but all of them supply the electrolytes you need, as well as some other vitamins. I buy it from Amazon - still trying different brands. They have some on promo all the time. Read the reviews to help choose one that tastes good.

Yes!! Plus the more water that comes out of you, the less that's going into you. I always drink a sports drink per day and take loperamide/Imodium when I get loose output.