• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Frustrated mom

My son's been diagnosed with UC, had to stay in hospital with talks about surgery couple of times, lost more than 30lb, he's in his final year at school, applying to universities, dropped all sports, I don't know what to do or how to help him.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum, I am sorry to hear about your sons recent diagnosis. Has he had symptoms a long time leading up to this? What type of surgery has been mentioned? Currently what meds has he been put on? How is he doing right now symptom wise? Lot's of questions I'm afraid but hopefully with a little more info we can give some suggestions that may be of some help to you both :hug:

Thanks for the response, he's been having different pain since September, sigmoidoscopy Early Nov showed inflammation but wasn't far enough, they didn't know the extent of the damage, put him on steroid foam and suppositories but by Dec he couldn't get out of bed.

Full colonoscopy showed inflammation all over the big intestine, spread in many places they wanted to remove the whole lot, inter-venous steroids didn't work, so they started infleximab, this Friday is the 2nd dose and daily prednisone.

It just seem to happen so fast, I take him for a colonoscopy and he's kept for a week, I think he's getting better and the surgeons get in, maybe he's shy to tell me the real symptoms but I don't know how can I help? he's that tricky age of 17 and was ready to become a man, go to university, become more independent.

Angrybird

Hi, yes it can be a bit embarressing to speak to mum about poop (I may be wrong but I us girlies can be better at talking about these things - we have to deal with out monthlies as well after all!).

All you can do at the moment is continue to be there for him. I am sure he is still taking it all in himself and will talk more when he is ready. Has he at least said whether he has noticed any improvement after the first infusion? The Pred should also be getting the inflammation more under control as well by now. Perhaps mention the forum to him as it may help for him to have a look also, there is a fair few chronies here in his age group and there are plenty of blokes about as well so he doesnt have to worry about talking about bottom issues to women only....

I hope things do start to really improve for him soon, the Infliximab as done wonders for many here so fingers crossed.