• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Its almost 1am. Why am I up?

I feel your pain. It's only 12 here but for the past few weeks I ahven't gotten to sleep before 3 in the morning and most times it's more like 5 or 6. It's kind of cool to see the sunrise every morning but it sucks when your covered in sweat and have to wash your sheets every morning because they are soaked in sweat. Thats why I'm on here half the night. If I can't sleep I may as well do something productive.

Hope you get some sleep soon. I may be popping some benedryl in a bit to see if it helps me.

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Aww Kittee and Jeff I know that game ever so well...

The laughable thing is I am getting to know the other insomniacs in my local 24hr supermarket when I am on pred!

Thinking of you both.

Haha yeah, if I was at my old college I would probably be wondering the streets and clubbing since there's nothing else to do. I think I need to get a new guitar that allows me to play and not wake up everyone in the entire house so I can practice all night long. I can't wait till I get my next remicade so that I can stop the pred. That's going to be my favorite day ever I think.lol

Wow I just tried to play that game. I can't even get halfway.lol

Didn't want to double post

Anyways it's an hour later and I think I am more awake now then I was an hour ago. I got me the jimmy legs and just keep having to move my legs about. It's like I got some sort of groove going on through my body. If my legs aren't moving, my fingers are typing, if my finger aren't typing then I'm bobbing my head like you would to music but I'm not listening to music. Ah so frustrating. Now hopefully me and Kittee and the rest of you night owls can get some sleep.

Last edited:
I just finally went and laid down read for a bit nodded off after 2. I feel like dirt lol. I'm one of those people who NEED 8 hours to feel good during the day.

K

karl

i'm currently on 20mg for today and tomorrow, then i taper down to 15mg for 10 days and so on

i have noticed that it keeps me up at night. it was bad the first week or so, i also go restless legs. since then the only side effects i get from pred are a little insomnia (i find it easier to stay up late at night now), breaking out a little on my chest and neck, oily skin, and sometimes a sore back.

however, i've been in college forever, so i'm used to the lack of sleep. some nights i will stay up till 3am just because i'm busy with a project or something

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
When do you take your Prednisone?
If you take it first thing in the morning, maybe the hyperness will wear off by bedtime. I always took mine in the morning, and never found trouble sleeping.

The tough thing is - if you take a nap after work because you are so tired, then you'll have trouble getting to sleep again that night. Vicious cycle.

C

Crohnic

Hey Karl

I'm currently only on the Pentasa but my Dr wants me on the Prednisone and Azathioprine. It seems like a few too many drugs to be taking all at once; might just try the Pred for a while.

Do you take calcium tablets while taking the Pred? - it seriously depletes your calcium levels and leads to Arthritis.

I was diagnosed in Nov '04 and had the Crohn's under control for a good 18 months with Pentasa and a strict diet(no gluten, no dairy, no corn, no sugar, no spices, no red meat, no alcohol, no citrus, etc). Then I started studying and the stress of that set me off again. I am down to 7.5 stone due to what could only be described as explosive diarrhoea over the last 6 months. This is why I need to go on the Pred.

Reading about it, it doesn't seem too hot. Does it actually work?

Cheers

Pred masks your symptoms and can sometimes lead to a false sense of security. I'm finally on 20mg and should be done my taper in two weeks. Sometimes pred can work wonders but other times as soon as you get off of it you can flare again so you need to make sure you have a long term medication to help you after your done pred.

Yep-o. I am flaring through my Pred right now. 20 mg makes it just tolerable for me to "survive' while I wait on my Remicade to start up.

And I take my pred first thing in AM with breakfast. Somedays it just has me wired as hell.

C

Crohnic

- this is to anyone who's online -

How severe is your Crohn's?
Have you had surgery?
Do you like having to be on all these drugs?
Wouldn't you rather there was a holistic alternative for example?

As for getting a long-term drug to rely on, I have heard that Azathioprine can cause Cancer if taken for more than a few years. I'm usually very wary of pharmaceuticals, but it seems that everyone who talks about their Crohn's (that I have come across online) just accepts what the Dr.'s say and just take wave after wave of these things until they finally die (probably too young).

Crohnic said:
I don't understand!?
its probably due to the thread hi-jack you did. its not the worst crime in the cyber world so dont worry to much.

your questions were way off topic to what the opening poster started this thread as.

for something like the questions you had, it would be better to start your own thread:)

enjoy the forums.

Yes sorry the hijack and the fact you've got 2 (now 3) posts here and it seems like you are about to link us a holistic website preaching to us about how evil our doctors are and if we only drink your miracle cure made of alfalfa sprout juice we will be healed.

lol, plus what kittie said:)

lot of people on pred here looking for an outlet to relieve tension, people who tell us about cures are often a very good target:D

Hey Kittee I'm going to complain on your thread like ai was earlier. Don't worry I'm not trying to sell anything or link to some crazy website about how if all we do is drink the nectar of a special fruit we will be healed.lol

ANyways it's 1 in the morning and I'm not even tired. My body feels like a furnace and I just want to sit in ice or something. My heart feels like it's going to be popping out of my body at any second. I also just can't stop moving. Well I guess these are the same complaints as the other daya. I guess the good thing is today I went down to 20mg of pred in five days I go down to 10 and then when I get on remicade I can stop.

I'm sick of seeing yesterday on all the posts and I thought the complaint about the pred would make me happy as I'm flipping back and forth between the same four websites and nothing seems to move.

This post took much longer than it should have to write because my fingers keep on mispelling every other word. Oh boy

C

Crohnic

Ah! I get you now.
Apologies for hijacking your thread.

I have just joined this site and don't usually use forums.
It's just interesting to hear other peoples views on Crohn's.

Don't worry, I'm no evangelist, and I'm still looking for something to alleviate my symptoms without giving me new ones I don't need.

My point was that everyone seems pretty pissed off with the Prednisone and would therefore prefer something with no side-effects.

Maybe I'm missing the point.

Laters

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Wow Kittee. Harsh. Maybe you should take a Midol with your Prednisone!
(Don't be mad - I couldn't resist.)

Welcome to the forum Crohnic. Tell us your story in the 'My story' section, and I'm sure we'll all be more welcoming. (Unless you're really Geoge, that is.)

Kittee - are you still awake??

hugs to all those who can't sleep. i'm going through an insomniac phase too - isn't it annoying when everyone else seems to be blissfully snoring away in lalaland, and you're not?!

thank goodness for tea bags & the internet - i don't know what i'd do without either right now lol.

and yes, hi Chronic - maybe it would be a good idea to start again in an intro thread ;)

dingbat said:
thank goodness for tea bags & the internet - i don't know what i'd do without either right now lol.
;)

Indeed!

No I finally passed out lol.

My butt hurts- You have NO Idea. *snicker*

Another night I see with no sleep. The worst part is that I worked for ten and a half hours outside today in heat ranging from 93 to 100 degrees at times. Oh boy, my body hurts so badly. I had to have walked about three miles today and lifted several hundreds of pounds of items(total not at once). Not to mention do stats for two hours outside without a press box. Oh man it was a fun but long hard day. Now I can't sleep. I just rearranged my chord charts for my guitar and cleaned up my room because I'm so restless. My house has the AC on at 60 and I feel like it's 80. I can't wait till remicade to get off the pred. Thanks guys for putting up with my rants.

I think my mind is slowly going crazier and crazier as I get more and more tired. Anyways, good night guys, I will be on here for the next while.

I was going to suggest a good drug that helps you to sleep but now I'm scared of Kittee stabbing me! xD

Seriously though, I mentioned to a colleague of mine at work about the trouble that steroids can give you with sleeping. She goes on buying trips to Hong Kong regularly and obviously the time zone difference is really difficult, considering she has to use ALL the time she has there wisely. She said she takes Syndol and it makes her sleep even if she is very awake.

It's meant for tension headaches so it's not really a "sleeping pill" per se, but whatever the 'relaxant' is that is meant to relax your head... it works! I'd recommend trying it. It's an over the counter thing so pretty easy to obtain.

You're not meant to use it more than 3 days in a row - I guess because it has a small amount of codeine. It's good for the odd night or two when you REALLY need to have a good sleep and there's no chance of it happening.

What's really weird is that it also has some caffeine in it. And yet it still makes you properly sleepy. How odd.

My two cents - when I was first on Pred, god yes I noticed this. But actually I get fatigue/exhaustion so regularly that I don't tend to be too bothered by it now. That said, I was in bed early last night, and thinking about stuff til about 1.30, so I guess I'm not totally immune... just a pity it doesn't make me hyper in the daytime like it did before, that was a really productive two weeks =P

i take Syndol for pain, not just headaches, but joint pain too. seems to really help with that, but i've never noticed if it helps me sleep.

the last 2 nights i have given in (after weeks of losing sleep and feeling more zombified as the days go on), and i have taken one diazepam 2mg. after an initial drunk kind of feeling, it has actually helped me sleep, and i've achieved 6 hours more or less undisturbed both nights.

I'm on Tramadol for my back pain and usually for the first night or two when I start taking it I end up with terrible insomnia, to the point where I never actually fall to sleep the entire night.

I never had a problem with insomnia when I was on prednisone...then again, I was very much the night owl back then anyway, so I might've just not noticed. Far as what I use to put me to sleep...the doctor that prescribed me the tyramadol for my back also prescribed me Cyclobenzaprine. It's a muscle relaxer. Must be an eyelid relaxer too. I take one and I may as well just go to bed.

Last edited:
i don't like sleeping pills either, Pen - in fact i've had this box of diazepam for 7 weeks, unopened, before i finally gave in the other night and started taking them. i suppose i just don't like being reliant on something, & was waiting for nature to kick my body clock back into shape. but it wasn't happening. i have to say, having taken the diazepam for a few nights now, and getting at least 6 hours sleep per night, i am feeling so much better in my day. no drowsiness, and i am sure my energy levels have come up a bit.

I had Remicade today and now I'm all juiced up. i can't sleep. Ugh it's almost 2 and I'm not even tired. I did sleep for two hours during my infusion though after they gave me benedryl through my IV. Anyways, I'm just ranting on not sleeping.

Well I had three infusions ending about five months ago and then I got an abscess and so wasn't able to get it until last week. I haven't been told how long I'm going to be on it but probably about two years.

I have been on prednisone for two months now and thats what has been keeping me up. I have also never been one to fall asleep easily.

Hey everyone, I see the title of this thread and thought no way!! I was going to start that one. lol.
It's 12:04am and i know i'm in for a long night. Been on Pred now for a few weeks. Started off 50mg (10 pills for 10days.) and now down to 40. Starting tomorrow that is.
Anyways i was just thinking God i hate taking all these freaking pills and being awake when the whole house is sleeping.
The only thing i can do to get any amount of drowsiness, is to smoke a little weed.
Mind you i've smoked before, but never more then socially. Now i find it helps me sleep. Gives me an appetite when i'm feeling lousy. And lately i feel the preds are not working like they were the first bit. More cramping. More trips to the can. 8 times yesterday, 5 times so far today.
I have a odd question... is this what i have to get used to? I mean is this the new reality, Pills... insomnia...constantly thinking about my gut!!!.
In the words of Charlie Brown.....ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Best of luck. I'm trying Simply Sleep that another forum member suggested and it workef last night. I just took it so in an hour or so I will know if it is working today. Good luck

Well last night was fun. For some reason I had night sweats so bad last night that I literally soaked through my pillow and mattress cover. Heck even my top sheet and comforter were SOAKED. I had to get up and lay towels down.

E

ericajones80

good call Pen. I always try to stay as hydrated as possible, especially before I go to bed.