• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Started Entocort today

My GP put me on Entocort today after finding out that my GI is thinking it might be IBS.

I'll give the GI another couple of months then I'll have to find someplace else to go.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Good luck with the Entocort! I was on it for about 7 months myself, from Oct 2010 thru April 2011. It put me into remission and I'm still in remission today. I'm still not diagnosed myself, but my days are so much better now and I credit Entocort for getting me to where I am. I hope it works well for you too! Not sure if your GP told you this, but give it some time to work. It usually takes anywhere from a couple weeks to a month for you to feel a difference. It's not like prednisone where it kicks in within a few days. Anyway, good luck!

entocort was great for my daughter; she was on it from FEb 2011 till October 2011. she is in remission still too.

I'm glad to hear this I've been on entocort for 4 days now well I'm starting my 4th day and I'm getting my appetite back and some of my weird pains I've been having are slowly getting better its crazy how much Crohn's can affect ur life if left un treated.

Well I don't know what's going on I've been on entorcort for 4 weeks now and I'm feeling pretty crummy right now no appitite and loading weight fast hopefully it kicks in before this flare gets any worse!!!

Entocort helped me tremendously, not quite to full remission but feeling a million times better....try probiotics and find a diet that is good for you that should help also if you haven't already

There is a really good probiotic from marketamerica, there is also a product they sell called OPC3. Its natural anti inflammatory agents in it. I can pm you how you can get this. Its easy and earn cash back money on your purchases. They also have an isotonix multi vitamin. Its powder you mix with water. Its more absorbed in your intestines.

I have been using garden of life colon care probiotics and they seem to work very well for me, I was taking 3 a day instead of the recommended one a day and noticed feeling much better and having better BM's...then ran short on money and tried 2 weeks without them and by the end of the 2 weeks had definitely taken a few steps back so I recommend probiotics to everyone now, even non-IBD sufferers

I just thought I'd update this. The Entocort gave me the push that I needed to get better. I know I'm not at 100% yet, but I'm definitely on the right track.

I did have one problem with the Entocort though. The little shells of the balls of medicine inside the capsule gave me trouble. A few times I had some trouble where transit time was increased and I narrowed the problem down to these little shells passing so fast through my tract that they were basically giving me brush burns in my rectum.

When my transit time would increase for other reasons, I'd have to back off of the Entocort some. I'm not down to 2 pills a night instead of 6 a day. It is a much better balance. It may be slowing my recovery, but I'm able to manage everything else better.

The only other problem that I am having is that when I eat some fiber and have more formed stools, I still have pain as it passes through the terminal ileum. I believe this is from slight thickening of the intestinal walls that I have. It's actually seeming to be a little better to eat where I'll have softer stools to keep the pain away.

I know it's TMI, but really, do any of us have any shame on this topic anymore?

I would like to add that my getting better now is the recovery from eating a handful of cashews January 4th.

Will never make that mistake again.

nuts are dangerous lol...I used to be scared of snakes, flying in airplanes, etc. now I fear almonds! interesting that u were on 6 pills a day my doc told me taking any more than 3 a day was a waste? but I may have been having the same issue with parts of the capsule causing some discomfort during BM's... I have gone to having only 1 solid meal a day and 3 nutrient dense smoothies and that has helped. also using wet wipes and baby butt cream lol

as far as the no shame thing, I def never thought I would be in an online forum discussing my bowel movements and what I use to wipe my ass haha

as far as the no shame thing, I def never thought I would be in an online forum discussing my bowel movements and what I use to wipe my ass haha
I had to laugh at this. On the day's that I go and buy toilet paper, I buy in those huge packs and I know what I like and don't care what it costs. I always feel the need to also buy bulk packs of paper plates and paper towels and maybe some kleenex to balance off the purchase.

A little awkward to checkout with a pack of ground meat and a $30 pack of toilet paper. (Speaking of, I'm in a critical shortage. Down to 8 rolls)

About the shame thing, I have just switched workplaces and many of my coworkers know I have crohn's. They have all been told to not ask how I'm feeling because I WILL tell them with as much detail as possible.

Very interesting what your DR said about the Entocort. It is possible that I'm mistaken about the 6 pills. It was either 4 or 6 really don't remember.

I too basically have the 1 meal a day thing going on.

haha yea I do buy giant cases of toilet paper and the giant refills of wet wipes, I always go for the self checkout to avoid the awkwardness of looking someone in the eye as they ring up Tylenol, butt cream, 30 rolls of TP, a bunch of wet wipes, and a few magazines....