• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story

B

Bosco

Hi Everyone,
I was diagnosed with crohns 10 years ago and I've only turned 26. I stumbled across this website and thought I'd share my story...

When I was diagnosed at 16 with crohns I thought the world would end!! Being a teenage girl dealing with the issues that every teenager goes though along with crohns!! I found it very difficult. Anyway I have been on everything from steroids, pentasa, imuran, questran, to name a few. Imuran kept me well for a while but not 100%, I always felt ill, always felt like i wasn't normal and it held me back a lot doing everyday things!

Anyway I went through a alternative medicine phase about 5 years ago, I tried chinese accupunture, I drank ungodly smelling seaweed broths, it didn't work. Then I tried a chiropractor. Within 3 months I was better than I'd ever been in years, off all medication. I hadn't had a flare up in nearly 5 years!

Now since then I've recently has a flare up, went back to my doctor he wanted me to go through all the medication again. Being the stubborn girl that I am, I also went to my chiropractor who swore to me he would have me better within a few weeks. I trusted him and low and behold I was with him on a Friday and by Sunday I felt better. I was going from cramps, bloating, diarrohea 8 times daily to no cramps, having my appetite back and diarrohea twice!! I'm going on a intensive course with him to get myself sorted again. My doctor cannot believe that I'm well and has postponed my scope! when I was in the hospital bed at 16 he told me that I was the worst case he's seen in a teenager, he told me whatever i'm doing....keep doing it.

I know it doesn't work for eveyone but it worked for me and my life has never been so perfect. Great full time job, getting married in December. I just wonder has anybody else tried Chiropractic as an alternative medicine? I'm sure it would work for others...

Thanks for listening,

Bosco

What exactly does the Chiropractor do for you? What type of procedure? How often do you go, and how long are the sessions?

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Wow, I would have never thought of going to a chiropracter. I wanted to try accupuncture, but never got around to it.
What country are you in? Does your insurance cover those appointments? Are you on any other medication? Do you watch what you eat? Just cuious.
Welcome, and congrats on finding us, keep us updated on how that works for you.
Congrats on your upcoming wedding too!!

B

Bosco

I am based in Dublin in Ireland, yes I am covered with my health insurance, only 30% of each visit. It works by relieving the pressure from my lower back ( where all the inflammation is due to the pressure on it from my crohns) His website is www.decompressionireland.com this might explain things better. Thanks for the support

Welcome to the forum. I'm actually thinking about becoming a chiropractor and I have a friend who is one. I have learned that chiropractic practices can heal various problems with various results. As long as you have a competant chiropractor there is very little risk in trying it. This thread reminds me though that I need to go back to a chiropractor as my back needs a realignment.

butt-eze

Superstar
I used to see a chiropractor for scoliosis but that was well before I was diagnosed. I wouldn't mind trying it for my arthritic pain but am skeptical that it would heal my bowels.

hi Bosco, and welcome :)

i am a great believer in having an open mind where alternative/complementary therapies are concerned, & am really pleased the chiropractor has helped you so much.

Hello Bosco and welcome to the forum!!

This is very interesting as I have never tried a chiropractor for Crohn's.

Keep up the good work...
and again welcome to the forum!!

Heart hugs~Nancy :)