• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Entocort

I am four days into using Entocort enema and there is no change regarding the blood in my stools. Does anyone have any information regarding how long it takes for Entocort to become effective?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
It can take a few days to a couple weeks to notice a change. Is that all you're taking? It may not be strong enough. Prednisone is much more aggressive and usually works within that amount of time. I've taken Entocort (not the enema form) and it did seem to help but I never took it alone. For flares that are so bad one usually takes steroids (ex: Prednisone/Entocort) to control inflammation quickly and drugs to help maintain the reduced inflammation (Asacol, Pentasa, Salofalk, Lialda and Apriso) and often times drugs that suppress the immune system (6MP, Imuran, and Humira) to try to control the disease itself (there are a lot of other meds including Remicade but I can't think of which category they all fall under at the moment).

I am also talking salofalk. I don't have diarrhea but I do have blood in my stools. No other symptoms. Inflammation is in the sigmoid colon. Salofalk worked fine for two months then had to go on an antibiotic for an ear infection and as soon as I ended the Amoxicillan, the blood returned and the Salofalk stopped working. That is why I am now using Entocort. Hoping to put this in remission soon. Very nerve wracking. And, of course, the doctor's seem to know nothing about possible progression, etc.

Hi
When I started on oral Entocort it took exactly a month for me to feel any difference but when it did kick in I felt so much better. I'm not sure if this can be the same for the enema but my GI seemed to think nothing of the fact it took a month to work for me. Pretty awful month but I was glad I waited. When I was on pred it took 2 days to see a vast improvement so a marked difference in how the drugs work for me!!
I hope you get some relief soon
Sam

HI Sam, thanks for the note. The only problem I have delayed taking pred is that I had a bad reaction to it a while back so I have resisted doing it. Made me very anxious and interfered with my writing. But if I can take it for a short time, maybe I should reconsider. But the news about the Entocort is very helpful. We always expect these med to kick in immediately.

Am now on 15 mg of prednisone and today I started taking 50mg of Imuran. Anyone else taking this combination and if so can you tell me how you are doing. Thanks.

Miles- I am guessing they stopped your Entocort? Thats what I am on. Started Feb 14. I was disapointed to have gotten so sick this past week. Hopefully I will be back on track soon! I was on IV solumedrol for 8 days in the hospital every 4 hours before starting Entocort. I think that gave me a good jump start.

After reading alot of the posts- it seems most people on Entocort are also on another Crohns drug, this is something to talk to my Dr about on my next visit.

I hope you start to feel better soon!

Lauren

Hi Lauren, Entocort was useless. Methatrexate worked like a charm but gave me so much gas that I felt like a walking methane bomb. Impossible to continue. The 20mg of prednisone makes me jittery and am not on 15mg along with the 50mg of Imuran. Doctor told me today that if the Imuran works I will be on it for the rest of my life. Not exactly what you want to hear.

Miles-
Do you live in the United States? It seems like you have good access to your Dr. Other than finding out whats wrong, which took a long time, I don't have trouble getting in touch wiht my Dr. People posting from the UK seem to have a harder time. I have never been on the Methotrexate. Prednisone yes. I had a hard time tappering off. My second Dr gave me a low dose and a very slow taper. I ended up in remission for a long long time! I also have never been on Imuran. My next appt will give me a wealth information. I hope....

Good luck with your meds- I hope you start feeling well very soon.

Lauren

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for the reply and I hope your next appointment goes well. I am now on 15mg of Prednisone and in a week will go down to 10, unless the bleeding occurs. Hope all goes well with your doctor. I am in Canada and deal with a university hospital so I do have email access to my doctor, which is great, though he has a hard time being clear at times.