• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Possibly more surgery!!

So Wednesday I went for another appointment with the surgery team to see how my healing is going and to see if the discharge is any better. I'm almost 5 months post op now and the discharge is still exactly the same!

Luckily they took me seriously this time rather than the 'it's still early days, it'll get better by itself' line I kept getting. After a thorough and painful examination which left me bleeding for two days (!!) they've decided to give me an MRI to see what's going on down there and are talking about removing what's left of my anus. Eek!

Will this ever be over?!? On a more positive note, I still don't regret my operation yet and I still love my bag. I honestly don't feel any different to the rest of the population now. Woo!

Hi Michelle,

I am going in on Wednesday for this op, a proctectomy. It doesn't sound pleasant but I hope it gives me a better quality of life. Had my ileostomy op last May.

I thought you had had a panproctocolectomy? But I must be wrong if you still have some bowel left. I hope you feel better soon - but it might help to research this op.

Love, Kaz xxx

Thanks Kaz. Yes I did have a panproctocolectomy, but my rectum was firmly attached to my vagina and so a little bit of that got pulled out along with my rectum! They then sewed up my anus and the hole they made in my vagina.

Unfortunately the hole they made in my vagina has been leaking discharge since my op and the surgeon still found a hole in my anus area too where it hasn't healed properly. He thinks there is a connection there still, although what is causing the discharge and what is now where my rectum used to be, I have no idea! I'm hoping they'll have some answers and a resolution after the MRI scan and possibly a look under general anaesthetic.

I hope my post hasn't scared you for your operation! I am really glad I don't have my rectum anymore, if I'm completely honest. Even the problems I'm having at the moment aren't too bad. It's just annoying more than anything. Hopefully your recovery shall be a lot better than mine! Good luck for it! Please let me know how you get on :)

Hi Michelle,

Oh I see, sorry you are having problems, perianal healing is a common problem for us Crohnies. I am aware that there can be complications with this next op but at this point I am between the devil and the deep blue sea. I have other health issues too so I am just going in hoping for the best.

Hope they can sort you out soon Michelle, thanks for your good wishes, I will let you know how it goes.

Love Kaz xxx

Terriernut

Oh Michelle, I cant believe they still havent sorted this and have waited 5 months to take you seriously! I'm going to sit here and worry now. I thought you've been so busy and happy and having fun because it finally stopped giving you trouble with the discharge!

Kaz...bless. I hope this op gives you all the relief you can get.

Hugs to both you!
:heart:

Thanks misty. Please don't worry though, I'm doing ok minus the obvious lack of bedroom activities. Just hope they don't do anymore damage or I may become a nun!

KWalker

I hate to laugh, but that was funny! lol. Best of luck to you and hopefully everything will work out for the best

Misty, I have been following your story and am so sorry to hear you will need more surgery! You have been an inspiration to me and will continue to be. Hey anything to get the lady parts in working order! Best wishes! Carol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry to butt in on your thread Michelle. Just had an email to say my op is 'probably' gonna be cancelled this week. This happened to me just before xmas too. I feel so bad and then so guilty feeling bad, cos I know it is for someone with a more urgent need for surgery. Sorry again xx

I feel like just not bothering to have it done at all. (What a baby lol)

Kaz xxx :yfrown:

Carol, that is very kind of you to say so!

Kaz, don't be sorry. Don't feel guilty. Surgery is traumatic and to mentally prepare yourself for surgery for it to be cancelled is annoying in the least! You want to get it over and done with so you can move on. When will you know for certain? I would find it hard to cope with the not knowing!

Thank's Michelle. The surgeon's secretary said she will let me know by tomorrow night, but from her email it seems like it will be cancelled. She said she will 'try' for later in March. My nerves are shattered!!!!

Kaz xx

ameslouise

Good luck Michelle! I hope they can get it all figured out for you! (And you can stay out of the convent!)

- Amy