• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just to brief you on Trans Fats

Not that this is breaking news, but the topic comes up once in a great while, and due to the gravity of it as far as a health issue goes, I wanted to just put up an overview on Trans Fats. The source is against them, but really the only ones "for them" are restaurant owners and shareholders...let them be ignored because if Oreo and KFC can virtually eliminate them and not lose "taste", then the rest of the world can too. Not doing so is just lazy. Wendy's fries have about a fraction of the trans fats that McD's and BK do (around 80-60% less, if not more), and taste amazing to me. Anyways,

http://www.bantransfats.com/abouttransfat.html

I like how Denmark essentially has banned them already. I believe in the future they will be banned in Canada too by the looks of things, and I'm betting it's a matter of time before the US follows suit.

Yeah a lot of foods lately have been doing away with trans fats and I think it's only a matter of years before we will not see trans fats again. Thanks for the link

Aye good link and good topic. I definitely stay away from them but like Jeff said, most companies are already omitting them.

Be careful though, many are omitting them, but many (MANY) simply get the amount per serving to sub '0.5 gram' levels per serving (some even drop the serving to abnormal amounts), this is how the FDA has mandated them to be calculated. If the serving accounts for LESS than 0.5 grams trans fats, companies are allowed to (or preferred/mandated to, depending on where you look) put "0 grams trans fats"....then they can advertise "ZERO GRAMS TRANS FATS!!!" and get away with a lie, really. It's a "loophole" that the companies are loving. Look at Doritos and Cheetos, those are good, common examples. Label will state "Zero Grams Trans Fats!" and the label will have "0", but in the ingredients list an informed consumer will uncover the truth:

Look for "Partially Hydrogenated ________ oil" with the blank containing a type of oil, often soybean or vegetable.

This new trend of getting it to <0.5 grams is a great step forward, but when it comes to trans fats, the true science and health professionals will tell you half a gram here, half a gram there, could total up a couple grams in just one day, due to this loophole. I hope this gets ammended, as it seems some people consider this a "negligible amount", with trans fats, if you know their potential cardiac/health devastation, negligible is an ignorant way to put it, because like I said, it can add up to a couple grams in a day still. Even so, a fraction of a gram a day can have an effect, because it takes very little of them to wreck havoc.

The type in beef and milk (and even some veggies) has a different isomer in molecular makeup, and isn't as deadly from what I've read, but still is technically a "trans fat" by classification.

One step at a time....

Last edited:
Ah I completely forgot about that loophole. Thanks for bringing it up. Yeah we have really have to read the labels of pretty much everything. But things are starting to go for an upswing. Hopefully soon that loophole will be taken out and no more trans fats.