• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What foods can you eat?

Hi,
I got diagnosed with Crohn's in January and our medical system sucks in Canada, i've been so disappointed, to the point where I left the hospital yesterday, I can't stomach anything, even just a tiny 1 cup of soup doesn't help. my stomach gets so aggravated I have terrible stomach cramps, extreme sweating in the night and all that really comes from my large intestine is blood! It's so painful. I am on prednisone and 2 antibiotics to help reduce the inflammation, however, I have been on it for about 4 months and it just seems like it is getting worse.

My question is, what is the best thing to eat with such a bad flare up? I'm struggling, I've lost 10 lbs in 4 days and it keeps going down, I am so stressed out and all I want to do is eat something without feeling so much pain.

Thank you for your support,

Becky

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
Jeez, Becky... Unfortunately, I'm too new to offer any sort of decent advice here, but I just wanted to give you a shout and show some support. I really hope you start feeling better soon. I guess to start, you could check out the diet forums for some ideas about what might work for you (both in terms of being easy to digest, and hopefully something that can slow your weight loss). Have a look around, and I'll leave it those who are more experienced with this to give you some more solid advice.

I am wondering if something you may be drinking may also be aggrevating that. When you have a bad flare up, you have to try different things that may work for you. Everyone is different. Ginger tea may help calm things a little. Work on figuring out what will reduce the inflammation. Begin probiotics as well, since that may help balance your stomach. Hope this helps!

Angrybird

Hi Becky and welcome to the forum. It might be worth looking into enteral nutrition, many have responded well to this and it could help with getting things calmed down with your bowel whilst the meds are kicking in. Check out the diet and sups forum, there will be more info about this there.

It really sucks that you are feeling so bad at the moment :hug: fingers crossed that you can start to feel better soon.

xxx

nogutsnoglory

Angrybird is right if you are flaring very bad you don't want your body pushing through solids and further aggravating the area. I drank A LOT of ensure when my flares were very bad. Yogurt is good too of you tolerate dairy.

Thank you!

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give a big thanks, I'm still losing a ton of weight (lost 3.5 lbs since yesterday) but I'm going to go out and get some yogurt, ensure and ginger tea and see how things go..

I really appreciate your help!

Thank you!!

Becky

hi Becky.

one of the problems with this is that there are NO hard fast rules on what you can and cant eat, one thing that affects one person will not affect another.

have you started a food diary - every thing that goes in my mouth wether solid or liquid gets recorded also my temp and how much pain i have etc .. After time you can use this to work out the do`d and dont`s of your food.

i came out of hospital last monday and found that heinz oxtail soup over the top of chips worked wonders for me where all the hospital food made me feel much worse, now a week later im back up to eating reasonably meals be it small amounts but very often ( every two to three hours).

be very carefull of healthy foods like brown bread - seems like anything high fibre is a big NO NO with pretty much everyone on here.

dont forget soups can contail different meats etc .. so just because one affects you does not mean another one will.

thx to food diary i allready know that coffee has to be limited , royster (corn) crisps are a very big NO , processed chicken is run for the pain killers..

Hello, I'm new here too. To me this sounds like when I had abscesses through my bowels. I went into hospital several times before they worked out by one of my ct scans, that its not just inflammation. It turned out to be perforation in the end, because it was only treated with steroids, but the sweats and pain and nit stomaching anything, sounds to a t, how I felt. Dont just leave it, because by the time I couldn't stand up and they rolled me into emergency surgery, I found out my perforated bowel had been leaking toxins into my bod, and it came close to the worst. So go back... I really dont think you should leave it and think this is a flare you need to diet through. Best wishes and keep us posted.