• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Imuran Dose

Hi all!

Just wanted to see what dose of Imuran seemed the most therapeutic for you? I'm on 100mg, which worked wonders for a week, and now all my GI symptoms are returning (i.e. ride side pain, diarrhea 12-15x/day, blood in stool).

Thanks for any advice!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
How long have you been on Imuran?

It will take at least 3 months to become fully therapeutic and for some as long as 6 months.

The desired dose is usually calculated at 2 - 2.5mg per kilo of body weight.

Dusty. xxx

Per my Dr, the therapeutic dosage is generally 1mg per 1 lb of weight. So a 100 lb person would have a theoretical therapeutic dosage of 100mg. Some docs start you off on a lower dosage and work you up to your recommended level, others don't.

I was on 100 mgs for 2 weeks, but the GI upped it to 150, since he thought what he viewed during my scope warranted a higher dose to settle me down.