• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Rapid intestinal transit

I'm 43 years old. My issue began opening day of deer season in 2010. I woke up with a bad stomach ache, got dressed and went to my stand. I got to feeling so bad, I went back home. I was running a fever and it lasted about 24 hours. Ever since that day, I've had terrible diarrhea.

5 months later, I broke down and went to a doctor. They ran multiple stool samples, gallbaldder tests, and parasite tests. Nothing. I had a colonoscopy. Again, nothing.

Two weeks ago today, I went to the bathroom and passed a large amount of blood. Of course this scared me so I called my PCP. he tells me to go to the ER. They were useless! So I have yet another colonoscopy and she decides to have a test done on my small GI this past Tues. While getting the small intestine xray, after drinking two glasses of barium, they asked if I had part of my colon removed.

The results; Rapid intestinal transit.

Does anyone have any solutions on what I can take for this. I have gained weight, a lot of weight. I'm not in any pain persay. I have figured out I can not eat spicy, grease or dairy foods. If I do I feel like I'm passing razor blades!

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

David

Co-Founder
Hey there and welcome to the forum :)

Let me get this straight, they diagnosed you with Rapid Intestinal Transit, gave each other high-fives and sent you on your way? Am I interpreting that correctly?

Are you under the care of a gastroenterologist?

In the meantime, you may want to read up on psyllium husks but please talk that idea over with a gastroenterologist.

All my best to you.

Thanks, David. I think you hit the nail on the head about the GI doc. I've had many tests ran on me. My PCP just ran a CBC on me about a month ago. Not sure about the thyroid but that gives me something else to bring up to him. But I'm racking up some huge med bills and it's only March. Depressing to say the least.

I'm getting to the point, I don't care. However, I'll follow the diet that works best for most on here and pray that it works for me.

And I want to thank you for the link. I will check it out.

Also, I'm supposed to keep a food journal. So when I go back and see Dr. E, in May, we can talk about my triggers!

Last edited:

Angrybird

Hello, I just wanted to say :welcome: With regards to food it you have not done so yet do have a good nosy around the diet and sups sub forum, this should give you some good pointers on things to look at.

David

Co-Founder
I see. Did he have any thoughts on what might be causing this rapid transit? Or does he feel it's triggered by foods and thus the food journal?