• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Couldn't tolerate Imuran. Will I tolerate 6mp?

Hello everyone,

been a while since I posted because I have been on Methotrexate and oddly enough, it was working well for about 2 months. About a month ago however I started getting the stomach pains again so I am assuming it is no longer helping. (Experience speaking).

Prior to Methotrexate I tried Imuran but found myself down at the local hospital in severe pain after 3 weeks on it. I was told by the GP to cease Imuran immediately and when I next met with my GI 3 weeks later, he put me on Methotrexate. They ran blood tests at the hospital which came back clear (No Pancreatitis) so I cant explain the severe stomach pain?? Maybe these would eventually go away???

Anyway my GI has suggested that I could try 6mp. My question to the forum is if anyone who has stopped taking Imuran because they didn't tolerate it been ok with 6mp? It seems to me they have very similar working actions (ultimately the same) and I worry I would get the same results???

Anyone who has made the switch I would like to hear from you.

For your info I have tried Infliximab/Methotrexate combination in past. Didn't help AND I developed testicular cancer so I am trying to avoid TNFa blockers owing to my history.

Thanx again:eek2:

Stevo