• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

NAVY Recruiting Question

Hello, all!

Thanks for letting me post my story and questions. I thought someone might be able to help me.

I am in the process of applying for return to the US NAVY...I just took the physical. Unfortunately, I was disqualified for a history of "non-specific colitis" and colon polyps. I am now in the process of getting a med waiver for this.

Here's the quick tour of my colon history.

Family history of colon polyps, so old family gastroenterolist recommended everyone in family go for colonoscopy every 5 years.
1998-scope with one 3mm polyp removed.
2002-scope showed patches of inflammation. general surgeon called it "non-specific colitis" probably from all the beer and chicken wings I was consuming while a young buck. no meds, no symptoms, no follow up required, no labs
2008-scope found 5mm polyp. otherwise unremarkable.

My questions:
1. Given the history, could this diagnosis of "non-specific colitis" in any way be considered a history of inflammatory bowel disease (ie Crohns/UC)
2. Anyone with Military Recruiting knowledge aware if this is waiverable?

***It is my understanding that the polyp history and is waiverable.

I don't have much medical knowledge of these conditions, so I thought I would ask in an expert forum.

I look forward to your thoughts and wish wellness to all!

Take care,
Pat:sign0085:

David

Co-Founder
Hi Pat,

If they try to pin you down as having Crohn's Disease or Ulcerative Colitis then fight the heck out of that as both will insure you don't end up in the military AND neither are "non specific colitis". All "Colitis" is, is "inflammation of the colon". There can be a million causes for this, most are reasonably benign and go away on their own. If you haven't had any symptoms since that 2002 scope, yours likely fell into that category and it SHOULD be waiverable in my not-a-doctor opinion.

I think having two polyps at younger age might be IBD. When you have your scope done do they do a pathological study of your colon? This includes about 30-50 biopsies; it should help you get a diagnosis. Having the polyps shows you have chronic, prolonged inflammation-I had them too and at 36 I developed Stage 1 colon cancer. Been cancer free for going on 5 years, my next scope in November will confirm a cure.

Sorry I have no info on military service part of your question. Hope this helps!

David

Co-Founder
There are three primary kinds of colon polyps:

* Adenomatous. About two-thirds of all polyps fall into this category. Although only a small percentage of these polyps actually become cancerous, nearly all malignant polyps are adenomatous.

* Hyperplastic. Most of the remaining polyps are hyperplastic. These polyps occur most often in your left (descending) colon and rectum. Usually less than a quarter of an inch (5 millimeters) in size, they're very rarely malignant.

* Inflammatory. These polyps may follow a bout of ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease of the colon. Although the polyps themselves are not a significant threat, having ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease of the colon increases your overall risk of colon cancer.
Source.

Wow! I just checked in and I see there are already some replies!

Thank you very much! Yes, Mountaingem, they did biopsies during the routine scopes....each doc said things were fine. Last scope showed no inflammation. I never have any bowel problems, but nonetheless, I have a note in that 2002 scope that said "non-specific colitis" so the Navy is trying to stop the show. Also, the Polyps were called "hyperplastic"...great breakdown, David. Thank you!

I was worried that in some way that could be considered inflammatory bowel disease. I really appreciate the encouragement as well, David and M.G. We'll see how this plays out!

I look forward to any other thoughts...and wish everyone health and happiness. Like I always say, "Remember...these ARE the good old days...enjoy them!"

All the best, Pat