• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gummy vitamin alternatives?

gummy vitamin alternatives?

Isabelle is currently on Prevacid and another anti-nausea med daily plus Zofran as needed but still can;t stomach any of her supplements (she has to run to the bathroom when she first SEES them (which I think is a stress related reaction...she needs to poop), and when she tries to chew them she gags and runs to the bathroom again. She is supposed to be on a multi, vit d, calcium, and fish oil. Do you do any other supplements that work well?
I HAVE tried a liquid fish oil (It comes in a capsule that you squeeze)...no matter what I mix it with she says it is nasty lol!

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Hi Angie,

I have had a liquid multi-vitamin before. I was recommended this as it was thought to be easier to absorb while I was flaring. I truly do not remember the taste, but it might be something your daughter does not mind.

I have seen liquid vitamin D drops that I imagine are flavorless or a tolerable flavour.

I have also seen chewable vitamins containing Calcium, Magnesium and Vitamin D all in one chewable wafer. I have seen these in more tasty flavours like chocolate, but they might have also had sugar or sugar equivalents added to them to make them tastier.

I have seen the chewables in many places (including many pharmacys and some grocery stores) however the top two items may be mostly found in health food stores.

Thanks! I should have clarified it's the chewables she is having such a hard time with. I'll have to check out a health food store next week...thanks!

Angie,
Liquid vitamin D is easy to find. Costco has a liquid multivitamin. They do make gummy bear multivitamins but when Caitlyn had a colonoscopy they saw them left in her intestines.

Tesscorm

Staff member
We all have the liquid Vit. D at home... Our is 1000 IU per drop. Tastes exactly like olive oil. (Let me know if you want me to check the brand...)

There is a line called Vitafusion I use but they are adult vitamins. It has a great calcium vitamin D gummy. I know they have a gummy fish oil that tastes pretty good. I am not sure what they have in the way of kids Vits. Daniel has taken them & likes them. On the bottle for the Calcium it reads ... Contains NO wheat, milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, or soy. It does have sucrose, glucose syrup, citric & lactic acid in them. Daniel likes to swallow pills has no problem but I 1/2 each gummy as they are really high in D. He never had a problem. But I don't worry with him having some extra D as he doesnt have much of an intake of milk products. Good idea about the health food store as they have other Vitamins in liquid. I also have taken a Vitamin B's in liquid that tastes of citrus. I hope this helps some.

Chloe and my oldest takes Animal Parade made by Nature's Plus. We get them at Kimberton Whole Food stores. They are chewable but they have a whole line of other vitamins that are kid friendly. They may have Vit D also. If you have trouble finding them let me know I can look into it at my local store.

After seeing the gummie vitamins in the intestine, did the dr suggest using something other than gummies? That is what we give here.... Maybe should rethink that.

Alex takes Centrum kids chewables multivitamin, it's a more complete multi than any gummies I can find. I have him on a taffy-like chewable calcium/Vit-D. I haven't found a fish oil one to do.