• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

33 year old Mama of two with Crohn's saying hello!

Hi everyone,
Thought I would share my story in case there is anyone out there with a similar one.
-Diagnosed Lactose Intolerant back in 2004
-Occasional incidents of pain that doubled me over since then, mostly from eating too much dairy or fried food
-Had my son in 2008
-Had my daughter in 2010
-Soon after having her, began to have intermittent dull upper left sided abdominal pain
-Ignored pain for about 6 months, it began to worsen to a stabbing pain
-OB sent me for CAT scan thinking it was an adhesion from my C section, it wasn't
-Primary Care finally referred to a GI in Fall of 2011 when I lost 20 pounds in about two months for no reason
-He ordered endoscopy first, showed reflux but nothing else, Prilosec prescribed
-Blood levels came back normal
-He ordered colonoscopy, showed polyp (benign) and ulcers on terminal illeum
-This still did not explain upper left pain which by now was constant, stabbing all the time
-Also felt like bugs crawling downward from time to time or gravel rolling in my intestines
-He then ordered capsule endoscopy to see if ulcers also existed in my upper intestine (where pain was worst)
-Capsule showed nothing there :( Still do not have answer for this stabbing pain but GI said maybe 'referred pain' from terminal illeum
-Ulcers were still present and flared 5 weeks after colonscopy when capsule went through so he gave me Crohn's Dx, Mild
-Other symptoms: anal skin tag, achy joints, trouble with eyes (red, itchy, flashing light in left eye), do not have 'bathroom issues', just urgency to go 4-5X a day
-I am now starting Pentasa 3x a day (2 pills each dose)
-Also taking multivitamin, B12 and starting a calcium supplement too
-Going to meet with Primary Care next week to see about a referral for a Dietician since this altered diet is completely overwhelming for me
-So glad I found this forum, you are all so supportive and helpful thus far! Thank you!! :)

David

Co-Founder
Hi Kelly, welcome :) I'm really pleased that you joined!

Have you been to an opthamologist for that eye? If not, I'd request a referral to one, call around and find one who understands what Crohn's Disease can entail for the eyes, and go get checked out. Unfortunately CD can affect the eyes and it's best to make sure that what you're experiencing isn't anything serious.

Are you taking B12 injections or an oral form? Did you have your actual levels tested. If so, what were they? According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, it's best to take ALL of the B vitamins together as just one can create an imbalance. So you may want to take a B complex vitamin as well.

All my best to you :)

I have been to an Optam. for the flashing, and she wasn't concerned. This was before Crohn's though. I think I will ask my PCP about a new referral, since it seems a bit odd to see flashers this much.

Angrybird

Hello Kelly and welcome to the forum :bigwave: I hope the meds can get you feeling better soon. If you have not already perhaps have a look at our diet and sups sub forum to get some advice/info about the food side of things. I agree that perhaps another check on your eye needs to be done especially if the previous doc could not really give much of a explanation for it.

Pls keep us updated on how you get on.

xx

Forgot to add that the diet changes I have implemented based on the book I read and the advice of the forum have dramatically decreased the urgency/# of bathroom trips in the last week. I feel so much better in that respect, now to get rid of all the pain elsewhere. So thanks for all the advice! I miss my coffee and chocolate, but I don't think they are worth the pain.