• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

High bicarbonate

Catherine

Sarah serum biochemistry was good except for bicarbonate which was 35mmol/L (22-31). But maybe this is normal for someone with asthma and who is taking pred.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
High bicarb can be as a result of chronic lung conditions due to the poor exchange of gases but I don't know that that would reflected in someone with well controlled asthma.

It can also be caused by low potassium but I don't imagine that would be the case as the bloods would also show that. The only other things I can think of are prolonged vomiting and/or diarrhoea or just a one off glitch.

Dusty. xxx

Catherine

High bicarb can be as a result of chronic lung conditions due to the poor exchange of gases but I don't know that that would reflected in someone with well controlled asthma.

It can also be caused by low potassium but I don't imagine that would be the case as the bloods would also show that. The only other things I can think of are prolonged vomiting and/or diarrhoea or just a one off glitch.

Dusty. xxx
Thanks Dusty, must be glitch, asthma is well controlled and no vomiting or diarrhoea. Will get retested in a coupe of months.