• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns and liver

hi, hoping someone can help me out. I have had crohns for appr 17 yrs, when i was first diagnosed it was during surgery where i had a fair bit of my bowel removed. I was thenin remission for about 12 yrs and not on any meds.. i used to get b12 injections when i 1st had my op but because i felt so fine that stopped, i have always had bouts of feeling quite good so have never needed meds. about 2 yrs ago i was suffering bouts of bloatiness, gas etc, so my dr performed a colonoscopy where it was discovered i had a flare up and was put on a course of steriods. and he ordered a whole heap of blood work which i have just been back to see him and he said that he wants to perform another colonoscopy (so booked in for 3weeks time ) as he thinks i may have a flare up again. The blood test showed the liver function test at 144, which he said is to high, so i need to have a repeat test for that before my colopnsocaopy and he sd maybe a stomach ultrasound ( i guess this is for the liver ) i dont feel to bad, i have shocking bloatiness some days where i want to do is fart to release the pressure, but i dont get much diarreah etc, the main things for me is the bloatiness.. does anyone know much about LFT.

My LFT was high recently also - my dr ordered an abdominal untrasound which showed I had a "fatty liver" so we are eventually going to go over a "diet and exercise" plan, I guess. My dr doesn't seem very concerned about it. I work out 3 or so times a week (on top of that, I go on a bike ride with my kids everyday) and have lost a lot of weight recently due to a huge crohns flare and my working out. I do need to work on eating better though - my eating habits are horrible!

David

Co-Founder
From our wiki:

Steatohepatitis (also known as fatty liver disease) is a liver disease characterized by inflammation of the liver with concurrent fat accumulation in liver. It has been shown that low levels of methionine can lead to Steatohepatitis. Methionine is is synthesized with the help of folate and vitamin B12 enzymes[1] which those with Crohn's Disease are commonly deficient in. Point being, if you are found to have Steatohepatitis, get your folate and vitamin B12 levels checked.

it's ironic that you say that, David... I had all 3 levels checked recently - Vit D, Folate and B12 and my dr said only my Vit D was low.

Seb what are your liver results. There is alt ast alp and ggt. All mine are way over. I have psc. Primary sclerosis cholangitis. 2% of people of crohns have it, but 75% of people with psc have crohns.