• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need advice about setons!

I am 28 years old and have been dealing with crohns since i was 13. I recently had a non-cutting seton placed. The biggest problem is that my fistula has formed a tract that allows stool to enter it. It was causing pain before, but since the seton has been placed, its been worse. I can immediately see stool coming out of the fistula where the seton is placed. It causes alot of pain and discomfort. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it common? Will it ever be able to heal fully in this kind of contaminated enviroment? I would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Hello!!
Very sorry to hear of the pain. I just know it will get better. Sometimes they can be slow to heal, well left open but no longer the raw feeling. It will or may drain from time to time. What helped mine along was doing lots of sitz baths with very warm water, epsom salt and a bit of aloe vera. (Pat dry with a super soft dry cloth) If you don't have a peri bottle, see if you can get one. Use it to gently clean the area (using very warm water) each time you use the restroom. Try to use water to clean yourself and not tissue. Some say the wipes help. I am NOT one of them, as the wipes can really irritate the seton area. I keep the area dry and clean.
How long have you had the seton? Have you had it re-checked since it has been bothering you? You might want to have it looked at and let your Dr. know where you are at with the healing. It might ease your mind a bit.
Hang in there, it will get better!

Hey you're the same age at me and I just had a new seton placed Friday. Drainage can be painful, did they give you any pain meds until it starts to heal? Any antibiotics?

I also recommend buying or fabricating something to spray yourself clean with. I use the bag and tube from a sitz bath kit. Easy and makes me feel very clean.

I'd call the Dr. about it, let him know that it's draining poo and if that makes him concerned, and also talk about the pain. Maybe he can give you a little more information on what to expect during your recovery and how to cope with it.

Thanks for both replys, the seton was placed on the 15th. I am feeling a lil better now, but it still hurts whenever i have a bowel movement. I pretty much put myself on a liquid diet, trying to give my body some time to heal. That definitly helps along with the sitz baths i have to take immediately after i use the bathroom. He did give me some pain meds but no anti-biotics. I have an appointment with him this thurs. so hopefully we can get some new ideas and let him take a look at my progress. Hope you guys feel better soon.

sawdust

I would ask your surgeon about the pain and your planned diet at your upcoming appointment. I'm not a doc, but remember, the tissue there is used to this environment. I assume the seton was placed to allow drainage, which is the important part at the moment - keep all that infection and junk out of there so it can heal. That's how I understand it anyway.

Also, I came to a point where I wanted solid stools. I realize your concerns are pain-related, so I'm not really speaking to that, but I found that very runny stools can could go through my fistula tract. You can hold it all you like, but there's only one of those holes that has muscles on it you control, if that makes sense. :( Solid stools I didn't have a problem with. I hope you get some relief real soon! :hug:

Hello, just wanted to wish you the best at the Dr. appointment.
Hope you get good news on the progress and that you will gain solutions to your discomfort.

Take care!

My fistula was feeling better, and then they put a Seton in it, and it seemed to make it worse. Just started Humira last week. Hoping it works. This all started with an abscess months ago....the worst pain of my life. I cried like a baby.

I recently went back to the doctor, and he said everything looked pretty good. He said even the stool coming out was what they wanted to happen. They just really wanted it to drain. I am also scheduled to have a LIFT done. LIFT is an acrynom, anybody ever had that procedure done? If so, what can i expect? Thanks in advance.