• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question to partners supporting their loved ones with crohns

My boyfriend of five years and I have really been struggling and I'm wondering if anyone out there who has ibd or is in a romantic relationship with someone who has it could describe what you do that works. We love eachother so much but it's hard to give eachother the support we both need sometimes. I feel responsible And I know I shouldn't - for not always being up for doing things especially when I'm having a flare. He never blames me or gets mad but sometimes I think he's frustrated with spending somuch time at home. When we first stared dating my symptoms were not bad but three years ago I had a fistula flare and that's when things got scary for him and the reality of my disease and it's chronic nature set in. So I'm wondering how couples deal with this- what are zone tips? I wish there was a support group we could go to but there are none in my area. Any advice would be so alpreciated

Hi, I'm in Maine and my partner has Crohns. We still go out and do things. She says I am just as miserable at home as going out so might as well go out and try to feel better.

She's been sick since age 2 and is uncommonly strong. Sometimes I feel week compared to her because Im not sure I could handle what she does. Stay strong and always look on the bright side and you'll be fine.

Maybe if your boyfriend learns a little more about it he'll be more supportive. Good luck.

My husband is great now but at first he thought I Was just moaning about a bit of a stomach bug. It took a few flares for him to realise Crohn's is so much more. I tell him everything, we laugh about it and I tell him when I am feeling bad. We do go out but he knows we need to stay near a loo! When I am feeling better I make an effort to do more with him and be more adventurous with where we go.