• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Me & My Crohns

Hi im Paulo, im 22, from London.. Well, my stories not the most interesting but it all started very quickly! I was gaining weight doing gym was getting into great shape! I then had a very bad week that lead to 3 months of stomach pains, vomitting so much that even my biol was coming out, blood in my poo and the smell of my wind and poo was something not to be described and i lost 2.5 stone of weight! The worst thing of all was my local doctor continuously diagnosing me wrong every time i visited! Then came the hospital!

Here, i had lots of tests Abdo X-ray, CT Abdo x2 and a Colonoscopy. This is when they diagnosed me with Crohns Disease and a localised perforation in the Ileocaecal Valve (where my crohns is) i was then placed on iv hydrocortisone which was GREAT! Then converted to oral steroids and i felt a new improved person honestly! Because of my rapid recovery they decided not to operate on my valve and was discharged with a bag full of medicine! Was so scary! But i was so happy too!

Finally got home was so happy, i was at first on 30mg Prednisolone (6 tablets a day slowly decreasing), 50mg Azathioprine (1 tablet a day), Mesalazine (6 tablets a day) and 400mg Metronidazole 1 a day for 3 days (now finished). now I'm on just the Prednisolone, mesalazine & Azathioprine and each day im feeling stronger and stronger i get tiny niggles but my poo is normal i guess i feel energised (probably due to prednisolone) I'm eating properly infact I'm better now than even before my Crohns symptoms even started! But i've read stories on here and they really scared me! It seems even though i feel great now that no matter what its going to worsen? I accept there's no cure but surely i can live a healthy life under medication talks of fistulas and bags etc. scare the hell out of me!

Is there anyone who can advise me on this "only going to get worse" thing because i wanted to get back in the gym and use this to start my life fresh and be more of an adult! Saw it as a new beginning basically. Id be soooo grateful for any advice anything really!

Hello Paulo!!
Always remember it is and can be different for everyone. It does not seem to be set in stone of what 'might' happen.
Forums are often a place to vent, to gain a bit of insight. A place to try and feel 'normal' when things feel not so normal. A place of understanding, comfort and support. A place to share and interact with others who are sharing their life journey.
I know someone who has CD and has had one flare, just one. Granted it was a bad one, but it has not raised its head in years and they have no weight loss, blood, or discomfort of any kind.
When I read the experiences and possibilities of CD it scared me too, but it does not mean it will happen. Try to enjoy feeling better.
Welcome.:rosette1:

Hi Paulo
Glad you found your way here! Our experiences with this are all sooo different. Some may have highs and lows, like a rollercoaster and some may fight this battle every,single day. If you are constantly focusing on the 'maybe' bad day, you might the miss the opportunity of your present good days.
Hope you come back to the forums. Offering encouragement to those who aren't doing so well, is always a positive thing. When it comes from one of 'our own', I think it means that much more.

Angrybird

Hello Paulo and welcome to the forum :bigwave: As already mentioned we are all different with our crohns will 'behave' so there is no hard and fast rule to follow. Having a healthy lifestyle is not a bad thing, you will over time learn what foods/activities aggrivate things so you can avoid these and all I will say is as soon as you start experiencing anything that is not the norm for you get straight onto your doc about it no matter how small it may seem, this way any potential flare can be caught early. Otherwise enjoy feeling well and get back to the gym :)

AB
xx

David

Co-Founder
Greetings Paulo! I'm glad you found your way here :)

You had a perforation and they decided not to operate? Very interesting. Had it already healed up or are they going to keep an eye on it somehow? What's the story there, do you know?

I agree with the others above. It does not always get worse but the potential is there if you're not proactive and don't stay on top of things. I'd suggest learning everything you can about this disease. Yes, some of it can be scary, but the more you know, the more you'll be able to be proactive and advocate for yourself to ensure you're getting the treatment and care you deserve. And THAT is a big step in the direction of maintaining health.