• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

When was your first BM after small bowel resection?

My boyfriend just had an emergency small bowel resection (we were trying to plan it but his blockages plus a capsule endoscopy stuck inside jammed him up) on Friday and he still has yet to have a BM. He only had 7cm of jejenum removed, 2 strictureplasties, his appendix removed, and 2 fistulas snipped. He's been on solid food for 2 days and left the hospital last night, when should we worry? How long did it take you?

I had 18inches of small bowel removed and I ended up going to the bathroom 36 hours later. Right before they took me into surgery and after the surgery, they gave me some type of pill that was suppose to help my bowels wake up.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Both of my children, ileocaecal resections, had their bowels open about day 4/5 post op.

I have to say that I'm surprised that they let you leave the hospital before he had his bowels open but perhaps things are different in the US.

Dusty. xxx

6 days post op they had to give me movicol to wake them up they were and still are very sluggish. Start to worry if he starts being sick or running a temp or has sharp pains etc. Is he passing wind ok? He will go eventually try not to panic especially if he's on loads of pain meds as that can slow it down also. I agree with dusty it's unusual to be discharged post sx without going first.

Mine opened on day 6 and was then allowed to leave hospital on day 7 . As the surgeon said I could not go till he could check that the plumbing was working !

I lost almost 3' of gut on the 7th of March. Took three days before any action. Once I passed some gas, it was about an hour later that I had my first BM.

I also tried chewing some gum that day.. I read here that chewing gum stimulates the gut, and it worked for me.

I recently had an ileocolic and rectosigmoid resection. I left the hospital 5 days post-op and had a very loose BM on day 6 or 7. I wasn't allowed solid food right away though. I had to pass gas before they would even move me to clear liquids (which was on day 4 post-op) and then I was allowed to start on soft solids on day 5. I was told to take it easy when I left as I wasn't eating a lot of solid food before the surgery as everything caused agonizing pain due to a stricture. I'm 2 weeks post-op today and my BMs are still a bit strange. Sometimes they are solid and other times they are fairly loose, I'm assuming this will get better over time (especially as my diet becomes more normal).

Dusty, the hospital and doctors were incredible so we weren't concerned when they let us leave. He only had a very small amount removed, the incisions looked great, and he was passing gas since he woke up from surgery. He ended up having a BM a day or so after I posted this and has been fine ever since :)

It took me 4 days to have a bowel movement. Dont be surprised if his first 5-10 bowel movements are all black colored, and the consitencey of coffee grinds. Thats normal from all the old blood.

I recently had an ileocolic and rectosigmoid resection. I left the hospital 5 days post-op and had a very loose BM on day 6 or 7. I wasn't allowed solid food right away though. I had to pass gas before they would even move me to clear liquids (which was on day 4 post-op) and then I was allowed to start on soft solids on day 5. I was told to take it easy when I left as I wasn't eating a lot of solid food before the surgery as everything caused agonizing pain due to a stricture. I'm 2 weeks post-op today and my BMs are still a bit strange. Sometimes they are solid and other times they are fairly loose, I'm assuming this will get better over time (especially as my diet becomes more normal).
Hi heather, I wasn't allowed to eat after 70cm recsection, then temp illeostomy reversal. Clear liquids, then liquids, and I started having very loose bm straight away, and it stayed that way. Hopefully if you have some formed stools already, then as your diet improves, you'll go into full remission. Best of luck, and quick recovery :)

Thanks Irene! My BMs are solid now, although frequent and small. Not really sure what my 'normal' will be, but I know it's still early in my recovery. I'm hoping they become a bit more of what I know 'normal' being. However, as long as I'm not in pain I'll be pretty happy! :) Good luck to you as well!