• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Books for children with IBD

I found it very difficult to explain to my 4 year old what exactly is going on in her belly. These books helped a lot.

Toilet Paper Flowers by Frank J. Sileo PhD

Julia, who suffers from Crohn’s disease, explains living with this chronic and sometimes debilitating illness to her new friend. Because she uses the bathroom so often, Julia creates flowers using toilet paper. By sharing her flower creations, Julia gains support and understanding from her friend. Toilet Paper Flowers has an introduction for parents, web resources, explanations of the disease and treatments, glossary, and instructions for making the flowers. This book offers hope and validates feelings of children struggling with Crohn’s disease, as well as educating siblings and friends unfamiliar with this chronic illness.

Hold the cheese please - Frank J Sileo PhD

Danny is tired of feeling different because he is lactose intolerant. After being teased by a classmate at lunch, Danny reacts by eating ice cream and milk during a class party even though he knows he will have tummy troubles. With the help of the school nurse, Danny and the nurse teach others about lactose intolerance. Hold the Cheese Please! explains lactose intolerance to children between the ages of six through twelve years. The book contains an introduction to parents, a glossary, a list of non-dairy calcium rich foods and resources for more information. As Danny says, “…when you learn to accept things in your life they seem less scary….” This book offers a great message for children dealing with bullying and being different due to lactose intolerance.

Berenstain Bears -Too much junk food

Mama Bear lays down the law when she notices that Papa and the cubs are getting too chubby. With the help of Dr. Grizzly's slide show on how the body works, the Bear family makes a healthful adjustment in their diet and fitness habits. "A most enjoyable introduction to good nutrition and exercise. Has some good illustrations with the body and how they all work together.

Second toilet paper flowers really good. I actually read it with my 7 year old as I felt she was feeling a little sidelined because of all the attention that Lucy was getting in regards to the crohns. I havn't come across the other two but will definately ........off to Amazon I go.
Polly

Hi Polly! My nice is 4 yo and she was diagnosed in nov 2012 with UC. She was on Mesalazinum and it didnt work for her. Now she had another colonoscopy and they change to cronh's. She doesnt live in Ireland and I am looking for a clinic in Ireland where I can bring her! Was Lucy treated in ireland? can you give me the name of the clinic and the doc. name, if it is possible?

More for Teens

I Still Dream Big
by Penny B. Wolf, MSW

Penny Wolf interviews and collects the stories of teens and young adults who live with chronic illness. While this book is not specific to inflammatory bowel disease, it covers several diseases, including one case with Crohn’s. As someone who was diagnosed at the age of nineteen myself, I would have found comfort in this teens words. They are real and honest, and also encourge other young patients.

Although the book only covers on case of IBD, the wisdom and stories of teens with other chronic illness mirror that of Crohn’s and UC patients. The book is divided into chapters by topics and themes in chronic illness, rather than by each teens story. While this initially bothered me because I really wanted to read about the girl with Crohn’s in a more linear style, I came to really like the format. The stories were well edited together and prove that people with everything from diabetes to lupus to Crohn’s have more in common than we realize. We might be dealing with different things going on in our bodies, but we have so many of the same fears, struggles, and hope.