• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fistula - Candidiasis

PsychoJane

Here is my question:
Has any of you observed a significant amelioration of your fistula symptoms as you started a course of Cipro-Flagyl to then get them worst after 7-10 days?

I am starting to wonder if it is just that my bacteria become resistant that quickly to the antibiotics or if it might be something else behind. Could it be yeast over growth? Could yeast overgrowth worsen the fistula or even cause inflammation... Anyone had something going in that direction too?

I assume that since I get yeast issues almost inevitably when I take the flagyl and that I get thrush and yeast infection... seems logical my whole gut would be subject to the same manifestation. It would make sens, wouldn't it..?

Could anyone tell me what issue they got from candidiasis?

Yes yes and yes. Iv been reading soooo much on bacterial overgrowth, and your whole gut- mouth to anus, any inflammation - is either caused by bacterial overgrowth, or worsens existing symptoms. It can become resistant to any antibiotic, even antifungal. It affect any part of you, and worsen any wound ect. It amazes me, just how severe candida/bacterial overgrowth can become. I take Pred, so it thrives in my system, and without antifungals, I had the worst of symptoms which can occur, and being on antifungals for a while, candida can become resistant to it, and thrives without probiotics ect, to lessen symptoms when flares are at their worst.
So yes.... Sorry to say. Because it's a horrible thing to have it flare and thrive. There are some really great websites on what bacterial overgrowth is capable of. And it can flare like crohns...so best wishes. Hope some great antifungals and probiotics help. Xox

Cipro Flagyl kill off all the "good" bacteria in the gut. Candida and other bacteria are left out of control.

Please be careful and be aware of C. Diff. I got a colon infection from 6 months of Cipro/Flagyl and that was no fun!

Be aware of changes to your stool (color /odor). Probiotics were very helpful.

Good Luck

David

Co-Founder
Interesting theory about the candida. Something that comes to mind is our fecal transplant thread where in the later pages, a member is doing the transplants and reports their their chronic abscesses were clearing up which was fascinating to me. While abscesses obviously aren't fistula, they can turn into them. So it would make sense that the fecal transplant was restoring some beneficial bacteria that out competes pathogenic bacteria or maybe candida.

i had a fistula draining to my abdomen, so i put a stoma bag over it. i had it like that for a year cause i didnt want to get operated on.. they tried everything but nothing worked so in the end i got the damn operation.

sometimes it would seem like the fistula was healing, but then it'd start pushing out stool again.

very frustrating.

PsychoJane

sometimes it would seem like the fistula was healing, but then it'd start pushing out stool again. very frustrating.
And how painful... I can't even manage to put appropriate apparel right now. Everything overlaps and burn my skin like crazy... it sucks... if that's enough to qualify the situation...

So it would make sense that the fecal transplant was restoring some beneficial bacteria that out competes pathogenic bacteria or maybe candida.
It sounds really interesting... I'll have to investigate that. Thanks for bringing that info up David.