• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Me and crohns: The Never-Endng Rollercoaster

Hi. I'm new here and I've never written anything like this before, but I thought I'd share my story looking forward for your feedback and guidance

I have to apologize in advance for my English, i'm sure you'll find a lot of mistakes and typos :)

It's a long story so bear with me.

I'm thirty years old and I have crohn's disease

I'm sure you all know what that means and how it could affect your life
And I'm sure too that you're all facing difficult situations where you have to make a choice between two unpleasant options

It wasn't an easy journey for me to be diagnosed with crohn's, coz it wasn't a typical presentation

It started on October 2011 with fever, sweating and tiredness for three weeks. I went to see a couple of doctors where they made some tests but with no help at all.

I remember spending my 30th birthday in the hospital having my first ultrasound ever.

During that time, I did not take even one single day off from work, although my doctors advised me to, but I didn't want to coz I just started this new job and I haven't even finished the probation period yet.

So, for three weeks, I would go to work, Suffer through and try to do my job. I was living on panadol and brufen. I used to take a lot just to help with the bodyache and fever.

After three weeks, everything subsided without any obvious reason why.

It was very hard not knowing what was wrong, and I was afraid that It might happen again

I was still doing my medical work-up and do my follow-ups with my doctor, but still no clue on what's causing the fever, so he decided to do full body scan but insurance only approved the abdominal scan.

This was my first scan.
It showed "thickening of the terminal ilium"

For some reason I was expecting that the cause of my symptoms lies within my abdomen.
For years I've been having "irritable bowel syndrome" and I've been living with it and I wasn't taking any medication for it, but for couple of months before my symptoms appeared, my IBS started to get worse and it started to interfere with my life.
It was mainly irregular bowel habits with sudden urgency to go to the toilet. This made worried all the time. I was afraid of going anywhere with out having an immediate access to the bathroom
I was afraid of traffic, road trips, and even going to the cinema. It basically made me think twice before thinking of going out.

The CT scan showed some abnormalities In my gut, so I went to a gastroenterologist, who requested some inflammatory markers "CRP and ESR" which were very high, and he scheduled me for colonoscopy.

This was approximately 6 weeks after my symptoms appeared.
During those 6 weeks, I didnt have any abdominal pain nor diarrhea.

I had the colonoscopy, which showed that my terminal illum is inflamed and critically narrowed.
So I was started on
Pentasa 3gm, prednisolone 40mg, pariet 20mg and imuran 50mg

Initially, I was in denial, I didnt tell anyone. Even my family, I gave them vague answers about what was wrong with me.

I thought I could continue with my life as it was, like there is nothing wrong.
And I managed to do that until I had my first episode of abdominal pain

I don't know how to describe the pain
It felt like someone is grabbing my gut and really squeezing and twisting it so hard. And sometime time it felt like a ballon that has so much air in and is about to explode and on occasions it felt like someone is poking my intestine with a hot metal rod.

The pain was so severe and it was increasing in frequency.

My gastroenterologist told me to avoid all NSAIDS, and if I experience any pain, he advised me to have some anti-spasmodic, which i used but with no effects
I remember trying to sleep hugging the heating pad and waking up in the morning for work with no or little sleep. It was brutal. I also needed to go to the emergency room at night on several occasions complaining of stomach pain, and receiving intravenous analgesics with little effect. I even had tramadol tablets, but it didn't relieve my pain. one time,the emergency doctor wanted to admit me for intravenous pethidine, which I refused to.

That's when I knew that my life has changed, and this is going to be a permanent change.
And that's when I started to realize i need to involve others who are close to me.

I mean, Why didn't I seek anyone's support!

why haven't i told anyone about what I was going through !

I hated how people or even medical health professionals gives you the "aah" or "ooh" after you tell them that you have crohns disease.
I hated thier sympathy
I hated feeling weak.
I hated crohns and how it made me feel.

I went to see my gastroenterologist to discuss the recent developments regarding the abdominal pain, so he increased the imuran "azathioprine" to 100mg

2 days later, thats 3 weeks after i started the treatment for crohns, I had fever. A very high fever, reaching 40, I even went to work on the first day, second day was the weekend. I thought that it will go, but no, it kept on rising. So on new years eve, I went to the emergency room where I was admitted.
I celebrated the new year in the CT Scan room !! By now I got used to celebrating in the radiology department, coz I already spent my 30th birthday having the ultrasound

I was kept on high dose of intravenous steroids and 2 really potent antibiotics, along with my regular medications

The fever was relentless, refusing to come down. I was really weak. I didn't have the energy to go to the toilet.
And I wasn't responding to the treatment.
So they started to question the diagnosis of crohns and thought that it might be something else like tuberculosis, even though the skin testing and chest X-ray were both negative. But it was based on my poor response to high dose of steroids and the fact that fever was my only symptom on both occasions.

Now I'm puzzled and confused. I see the doctors coming to my room everyday looking as confused as I was. They told me it is very hard to differentiate between crohns and TB of the terminal ilium.

They have stopped imuran, coz it caused me to have very low white cell counts.

It was very hard on me to accept the fact that i suffer from crohns, now I'm being told I might not have it and this all could be just a TB infection, which is treatable with medications. I mean I could be cured after 6months of therapy.
Now I started to hope I have TB.

The lab had sent some of my specimens for another lab which was out of my country, coz they didn't have the specific test that would help in differentiating between the two.
And the result would come in 3-4 weeks.

I improved, the fever came down and I was discharged after 10 days.

Now, since the diagnosis was in question, it wouldn't harm to seek another opinion.

I went to another gastroenterologist who again scheduled me for both upper and lower endoscopy. Her endoscopy and biopsy results were suggestive of crohns and not TB.
But it also showed some abnormality in my duodenum. My duodenum was inflamed with inclusions bodies, which were suggestive of CMV infection.

It's a viral infection, which most of us had by the age of 25, it stays dormant in your bodies, but in times of low immunity, it can be a nightmare.

Now, doctors were puzzled on how to treat me
I can't take imuran, coz it made my white cell count drop
I need to be off of steroids. I had side effects, and it's risky with CMV, coz it might go from localized to disseminated infection
I can't take humira, coz my TB status is still not clear
Pentasa, is not doing anything, and it's not effective for ilial disease
My options were very slim.

So I either decrease the immunosuppression therapy "steroids" and risk have crohns flaring up on me, or keeping it as it is and risk CMV disease getting worse.

The doctors have decided, to taper down steroids, start valcyte "treatment for CMV" and start humira as soon as we get the TB result back

I was happy to know that I will be off of steroids soon. It gave me all kinds of side effects. For example, Acne, severe acne, which I never had as a teenager!! Weight gain, I gained 10kg. I was 62kg, now I'm 72kg.

After a couple of weeks, the TB result came from abroad, and it was negative.

So I don't have TB, I have crohns and on top of that, i have CMV disease.

I've already started on humira. It's been 8 weeks now. I stopped the prednisolone ''yay''

I'm still taking valcyte, pariet and pentasa, but I'm planning to discuss this on my next appointment. Also I take folic acid 5mg, ABC plus "multivitamin tablets, osteocare "vit D and calcium" and already recieved 2 doses of vitamin D injections, coz my blood level was very low. My inflammatory markers are back to normal, anemia corrected, my bowel habit became more regular and less urgent and finally I stopped having abdominal pain.

Last month I decided to take one week off. I wanted to have a break from everything. So I booked my tickets, made my hotel reservation and started planning my trip. I realized that I needed to take humira with me, and as you all know, it needs to be kept in a cold temperature. I called the humira agent and he thankfully came to my place with travel kit and explained to me how I can travel with it. I also contacted the airline and they have arranged for my humira to be kept in the fridge during flight time. When I arrived at the hotel, I asked the reception to keep the medicine in thier fridge, coz my mini fridge wasn't cold enough.

It was a hassle all the way through, but it made me realize, that I need to accept that I have a chronic, incurable medical condition that I need to live with.
I made peace with that last realization now.

My last appointment with my doctor, we talked about treatment options.
He said that I could go for surgery to resect my terminal ilium (since my disease is confined to the terminal illum only), and stop all medications, but he told me that there no guarantee it would not come back.

We also discussed whether to use monotherapy (humira alone) or with combination with imuran.
If I use humira alone, eventually my body will produce antibodies against the medicine rendering it ineffective, but if it was combined with imuran, it will increase its longevity but also increase the risk of having certain kinds of blood cancers.

I don't know whether to go for surgery, or continue with medical treatment, it being mono therapy or in combination.

I know this example of making a difficult decision, is going to come again and again in the future.
And I know that eventually surgery will be needed for either crohns itself or it's complications " fistula, fissures etc"

But..
Life with crohns means always facing dilemmas and being uncertain all the time.
Life with crohns means always having to make difficult decisions about your health.

a friend once said to me : ''everything will be okay in the end. if its not ok, its not the end''

finally,,, I've been having this joint pain for the past, its not increasing in severity, but the number of joints is increasing.

Typical,, nothing new, thats me and crohns. THE NEVER ENDING ROLLER COASTER

Astra

Hiya someone
and welcome

It's good to have you here with us, we're all paddling in the same boat.
My Crohn's is in the TI too, and I had a huge scare and in hospital and the surgeon was waiting in the wings ready to open me up, but...........I survived to tell the tale!
Considering all the treatments and meds you've had, research stem cell therapy here on the forum, or Low dose Naltrexone or Remicade.
I don't know, but surgery could be the last resort, when all else fails, for me anyway.
Hope you manage to get your head round all this, it's hard, decisions.
By the way, your English is smashing!
And remember, you have Crohn's, it hasn't got you!
Lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Thank you very much Astra

Glad to be here

And it's really nice to have people that knows what you're going through.

Because, everytime I say something about crohns infront of my mother, she always reply with "thank god it's not cancer" !!
HahaHa

Thanks again

Angrybird

Hello, just wanted to say welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having, defefinetly have a good nosy around the forum as there is a lot of helpful info and support here.

Wishing you all the best hun.

AB
xx

David

Co-Founder
Hi someone and welcome to the forum :) Thank you so much for sharing your story. Here are my thoughts:

1. Have you had your vitamin B12 levels tested? The terminal ileum is where vitamin B12 is absorbed and many with Crohn's Disease are deficient in it. If you did have it tested, what was the specific level? If you haven't, I strongly suggest getting it done especially since you're supplementing with folate. Folate can actually mask the symptoms of B12 deficiency until serious damage is done.

2. You mention the hard decision regarding surgery. If it was me, I'd ask them to perform a test to find out if the stricture in your terminal ileum is due to scarring or inflammation. If it's just inflammation, then try the medicine to see if the inflammation can be reduced. If the stricture is due to scarring or almost all scarring then resection or [wiki]strictureplasty[/wiki] might be the best option for you as medicine isn't going to make a difference and some can actually make the scarring worse.

I'm glad you're here. I wish you well :)

Thanks David

Its an inflammatory narrowing due to swelling or something, repeated colonoscopy showed almost normal lumen diameter
The surgery was suggestive as a cure, because my disease is confined to the terminal illum with no extra-intestinal involvement. So by removing the affected segment, I might no need any treatment at all.

I haven't checked my B12 levels, will ask them next visit :)

Thanks again

David

Co-Founder
That's good that it is inflammatory and not fibrotic :) Surgery may result in a period of LONG TERM remission, it may be short lived. It's different for everyone but it is not a cure. :( Other questions you can ask when trying to determine what route to take are:

1. How much of the terminal ileum will they have to remove?
2. Will they have to remove the ileocecal valve?
3. If they do have to remove the ICV, can they reconstruct it so the function is still there.

When you get your B12 levels checked, please get the actual number and lab reference range and let us know what it is if you're comfortable doing so. We can then provide additional insight based upon that.

Thanks again David

I will post the result once Its out.

1) I was told that it's less than 5cm, and that I will need to be monitored regularly by colonoscopy to check for recurrence at anastomoses site
2) they will keep my ICV

I still haven't decided, but I don't think I will go for it, at least not in the near future