• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Please Share Your Favorite IBD Weblinks

Here is another link

http://www.clinicalconnection.com/Crohn's_Disease.aspx

An interesting section is below:

Additionally, many in the scientific community believe that early childhood exposure to illness is necessary to the creation of a proper immune system for those with the genetic suseptibility for Crohn's Disease. Like Polio, higher incidences of Crohn's Disease are associated with cleaner living conditions. Throughout the early and mid-20th century in the United States, the disease was strongly associated with upper-class populations, and today the disease does not yet exist in the many Third World countries, despite the fact that it occurs in all races. CD is also associated with first born and single children (because they would have less exposure to childhood illness from siblings) and in populations that have low incidences of gastric cancer. Gastric cancer is most often caused by the bacterium Helicobacter pylori that flourishes in cramped and unsanitary conditions.

So how many of you are first born or single child? What about childhood illnesses?

I'm a first born and when I was little my mother told me i never got sick; I never got childhood sicknesses like Polio, chicken pox etc... !!!!

Last edited:
I am a first born and was a single child till 11. I never really got sick as a child...a couple ear infections and I did have the chicken pox. But, even as an adult I rarely get a cold even...maybe once a year and never seems as bad as who I got it from.

Here's a youtube link to a comedian...always makes me laugh he speaks the truth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70_D3Gfsrhg

I'm first-born, only child. I was never really sick except for with strep throat, for which I ended up having my tonsils removed. I also usually had a yearly sinus infection... just never took meds for it.