• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello and Dilemmas...

Hey fellow Crohnies,

I'm new, and I'll probably be pretty shy--however, I need advice and y'all seem friendly and helpful.

First to introduce myself. I'm a college student, was diagnosed with Crohn's as a freshman in high school. Prior to diagnosis, I was majorly underweight for years and had no idea why but wasn't really concerned cuz then I could eat pretty much anything I wanted ;). Freshman year, had pain in my lower right side and was told it was a pulled muscle. Lived with an abscess in my gut for two months before they figured it out and tried to drain it repeatedly, eventually had open abdominal surgery to find an 8inch hole in my small intestine. And thus I have Crohns!

Sophomore year was the last year I really felt fantastic and actually healthy. Since, I'm almost always okay (no major symptoms, nothing to definitively point to), but never really actually feeling healthy--you know the feeling? Which is totally liveable; however, it is getting to the point now where I'll be generally okay for an extended period of time, then have an absolutely horrible weekend out of nowhere. Meh.

Here's the problem. The career I want to end up in (that I've dreamed of forever) is right around the corner...but it requires for a month or two at a time that I travel internationally often and generally to rural areas, working in physically strenuous conditions. It's not exactly ideal for someone with Crohns, especially since I seem to be getting worse. Is there anything that I'd be able to take or do for a couple of months in order to not give up on this? I mean, you're supposed to still be able to live with this and not have it completely alter your life, right?

Hey Wicker,

I'm Samantha and I'm a University student, diagnosed around first year of high school. This summer I'm supposed to travel to Quebec for 5 weeks to learn french. I'm in a huge flare right now, and I've run out of conventional treatments the doctor thinks will be effective. I just started methotrexate injections last night, so I'm hoping those work. If my methotrexate doesn't work, I'm going to ask him to put me on Prednisone, which totally sucks and I'll get a huge fat face and ass but it works for me. Have you been on pred before?

Also, unfortunately you're incorrect lol. Everybody's different and their level of disease is different, but for me, Crohn's/UC has completely altered my life. I know it's a bummer to change plans and expectations, but just keep in mind that it's a possibility. I really hope you get to do everything you want! I love to travel! It seems like it would be a nice experience.

Cheers :)
Sam

Angrybird

Hello Wicker and :welcome: to the forum. What meds are you currently on? Have you discussed this with your GI at all? What symptoms are you currently experiencing?

Perhaps have a nosy at our diet and sups forum to get some info about either a low residude diet or perhaps something like enteral nutrition which would be liquid only. This may just help in getting things a bit calmer with the tum.

Will keep fingers crossed that you can pursue your goals.

AB
xx

I'm currently on Humira, used to be on 6mp and Pentasa. Whenever I flare I get put on pred (gives me the same troubles as you, Samantha), but they seem to always want me off of it right away.

I've got a couple of calls in to my GI but he's out of town I guess, so it's just a waiting game! Thanks for the support, though :)