• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mushy Mouth

Spooky1

Hi,

As far back as i can remember i've suffered what i call mushy mouth. that is that even brushing with a tooth brush erodes a layer of skin and leaves it really red and sore. Also, i have to be so very careful as to what i put in my mouth because if its slightly sharp it seems to gouge out chunks of the mouth. I also have recurring ulcers and a very white, patchy tongue with splits in. the inside cheeks are also always white patches with red and blood blisters. I do swish with disolved sea salt in water, but can anyone else identify what it's about and what i can do.

For me - any mouth ulcers etc are a manifestation of active disease.
I have tried to control them with a range of products.
The only thing that has really worked though - has been remission. As long as my disease is under control, my mouth is ok.
Hope your mouth feels better soon.

I have only ever had cancers associated with my mouth/crohns in the past, however I have recently started chemo and that causes a similar soreness/breakdown to what you're describing. Anyway my doctor prescribed a drug called Sulcrafate that you swish around your mouth then swallow. Helps with the sore mouth a ton. I don't know if that's helpful......just thought I'd mention it.

Kat

Spooky1

I just been to dentist and she is sending me to hospital for oral biopsis and the crohns there could turn to cancer. My dad, who did not have crohns, died in November due to mouth tongue and throat cancer. Dentist wants to check for precancerous areas, etc.

good luck with your treatment.