Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Histopathology Report

04-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
JMC

Histopathology Report

I got this report from my surgeon at my review last Friday and thought it might be of interest. I had open surgery on 29th March which included a right hemi-colectomy and the removal of two small segments of my sigmoid colon due to fistulas penetrating from my terminal ileum.

I was not able to have a laporoscopic procedure due to the size of the fistulated mass which was removed and this is quite clearly shown in the images. I currently have a temporary ileostomy. The pictures also show severe thickening of the wall of my bowel and the paths of two of the fistulas - there is a metal instrument poking through one of them.

Shows the size of the mass taken out (about 1', 30cm long) (left picture) and a large fistula (red area on right picture)

Shows images of the thickening of my bowel wall and the path of one of the fistulas

Last edited by JMC; 04-16-2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: fixed photo links
04-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
David
Co-Founder

Fascinating, thank you so much for sharing this! I hope you're doing well after the surgery
04-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
How cool that you have the pictures as well!! Thanks for posting!

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Histopathology Report