• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How do you react to wheat (gluten)?

how do you react to wheat (gluten)?

:depressed: because of major fatigue and i had a lot of wheat products yesterday, im weaning off pred but this came out of the blue and i havent reduced in 2 weeks so it seems odd. im starting to wonder if wheat makes me tired, and dizzy. i did cut it out for a while and still felt crappy but i just dont know whats going on.

just had blood in my stool and its been a while which is making me think something yesterday might be contributing to this sudden dizzines, nasuea and blood and loose stools.

I did re-introduce decaf coffee yesterday, and I ate lots of wheat products. Its hard to believe coffee is having this effect on me, ok maybe it would loosen the stool but blood and serious fatigue? I am starting to fear it might be the wheat, which would really suck.

Thank you Pen I am going to call my GI now, the problem is the docs always say diet has nothing to do with it, which is nonsense. Diet def plays some role and I wish they would focus on that more than just saying take this medication and that medication.

One problem is the context in which the issue of diet is alluded to...diet has no effect can be right and wrong in 2 ways, meaning:

Diet causes Crohns: diet has no effect

Diet causes suffering during Crohns flares: diet has lots of effect

See the context?

Although the above is still in debate amongst medical circles, namely if Diet/MAP bacteria can cause Crohns....I recently asked my newer GI about diet causing a flare up (once you already have Crohns and are in remission), and he said there's evidence for both ways on that one, and nothing's been defined yet. But most say diet does NOT cause the disease (although you'll find some who'll beg to differ on that too, and you'll find GI's who probably think George Bush caused Crohns, so take it all with a grain of salt, look more at the collective conclusions of the medical community...1 looney GI VS. 15 GI's from reknowned backgrounds...)

I once asked my GI about the Wheat (Gluten) issue. So he ordered a specific blood test for me which shows Gluten sensitivity, and it was negative. But as a general rule if you have intestinal problems try to avoid Gluten as much as possible and try to substitute with rice and potatoes. Also I guess the yeast in bread makes things worse for Crohn's

http://www.nutritioninstitute.com/Ulcerative_Colitis.html

I have no trouble at all with gluten. I even eat gluten as a meat substitute (It's the best there is really). Gluten breaks down just fine in my system.

I have trouble with high fiber and indigestible foods though. I usually have constipation and obstructions and something like coconut isn't any different than if I were to eat white metal shavings. Clearly coconut doesn't cause crohn's and other people don't have trouble with it but trying to pass little slivers of hard indigestible material becomes very harmful when they are being forced through a tiny gap in inflamed tissue.

My GI wanted me to go up on the 6-mp and the pred but I was like listen I need to get off these crazy drugs ASAP. So I am now just sticking it out and I am super tired and dizzy. I am committed to tapering slower but no way am I going higher on the pred. I hate pred ugh.

Have you discussed doing dose packs for flares instead of a constant dosage?

There's also the option of an every other day dosage to keep your body's adrenal function and thus reduce side effects and reduce/eliminate the risk of withdrawal.

Last edited:
Colt said:
Have you discussed doing dose packs for flares instead of a constant dosage?

There's also the option of an every other day dosage to keep your body's adrenal function and thus reduce side effects and reduce/eliminate the risk of withdrawal.
Is there much decrease in efficacy in these methods Colt? This is intriguing, because as much as I hate pred (we all know my sermons on it), I'd potentially try it again just to avert a colectomy.

The chance something you ate only the day before caused blood in your stool seems pretty slim since normally those issues would take longer to develop. However, it is possible it could happen and the fatigue could be caused by it. If the food did cause the bleeding then hopefully it is just a minor scratch in an inflammed area that can heal quickly rather than being the start of a flare. Your doctor would know best, but realistically I doubt the gluten was the issue since gluten is so prevalent in a lot of foods you would never think about.

BWS1982 said:
One problem is the context in which the issue of diet is alluded to...diet has no effect can be right and wrong in 2 ways, meaning:

Diet causes Crohns: diet has no effect

Diet causes suffering during Crohns flares: diet has lots of effect

See the context?

Although the above is still in debate amongst medical circles, namely if Diet/MAP bacteria can cause Crohns....I recently asked my newer GI about diet causing a flare up (once you already have Crohns and are in remission), and he said there's evidence for both ways on that one, and nothing's been defined yet. But most say diet does NOT cause the disease (although you'll find some who'll beg to differ on that too, and you'll find GI's who probably think George Bush caused Crohns, so take it all with a grain of salt, look more at the collective conclusions of the medical community...1 looney GI VS. 15 GI's from reknowned backgrounds...)
What I had just read that made sense to me was that though foods or diet do not cause or contribute to Crohn's, foods that naturally cause digestive problems in all people can in fact make symptoms worse. For example foods that cause gassiness in everyone would make a Crohn's patient feel even worse though technically those foods do not affect the disease itself.

My doctor tells me that food has nothing to do with it, but then tells me to avoid fatty, greasy and spicy foods...he's crazy.

I think they just don't want people to think that a certain kind of food causes Crohn's because then not only would everyone needlessly avoid that food, but people might get the false sense that they will be cured if they don't eat that food as well.

So, stay away from the foods that make you feel worse or hurt your insides. The last thing you need is something scraping along in there. Imagine a cut and if you just kept scratching it how it would get irritated...same with your intestines I guess. Or does anyone get mouth sores...no mustard for sure with those...imagine those are what is in your intestines. Though mustard may not cause mouth sores it definitely affects them.

....boy I hope all that made sense!

I'm operating under the view that, whether you have crohns or not, gluten-containing grains would be a good thing to reduce or eliminate from your diet (along with refined sugars).

J

jobengals

something interesting i noticed about gluten.

almost every packaged bread product is made with white enriched flour. or bleached flour. it's the same thing -

"Wheat stalks are trucked to flour mills and rinsed with various chemical bleaches: nitrogen oxide, chlorine, chloride, nitrosyl, and benzoyl peroxide (a main ingredient in acne meds). The result is that half of the healthy fatty acids are lost in the milling process, as well as the wheat germ and bran, which contain vitamins and fiber. This process has turned one of the healthiest foods for us into one of the most highly allergenic, difficult-to-digest substances." - Jordan Rubin, GPRx

I used to think I was totally allergic to gluten ... but after trying whole wheat bread, and breads from sprouted grains like Ezekiel 4:9 bread, (they also make some badass cereal) I knew it had been all the packaged, enriched, processed junk shit that was messing me up.

Yall should give it a try, i think. Just make sure your bread is whole wheat, not white. And obviously not processed.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Wheat doesn't seem to bother me at all. I've been eating plain bagels with cream cheese every day for lunch this week. When I feel really bad and can't think of anything to eat I eat a Wendy's kid's cheeseburger. Mmm, that bread and mayo and ketchup really make me feel good. Grilled cheese sandwiches also make me feel good as do pretzel sticks. Just plain bland food.

i was into the healthy breads, whole wheat, grainy stuff but i think i do better with white flour. i know its not healthy but during a flare it doesn't bother me as much.

J

jobengals

if you are experiencing a flare, you should cut out all the gluten in your diet... especially the white

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
The white type is all I can handle during a flare. Everyone is not gluten sensitive. Whole grains are out for me. If I cut out white bread there wouldn't be much left for me to eat. No fruit or veggie skins, seeds, pulp, no gassy foods, limiting dairy, low sugar, doesn't leave a lot. The less digestion my belly has to do, the better I feel.

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
I gave up on plain white bread years ago. I found it too gooey. It feels like it forms a big indigestible lump in my stomach. It disagrees with me even during my healthy periods.

A

AndyCrohnsPatient

I see to do ok with it. I do ok when it like a sandwitch and not just by itself. I recommend only eating it like on a hamburger or sub or something. Thats the only time i eat it and i do ok.

jobengals said:
something interesting i noticed about gluten.

almost every packaged bread product is made with white enriched flour. or bleached flour. it's the same thing -

"Wheat stalks are trucked to flour mills and rinsed with various chemical bleaches: nitrogen oxide, chlorine, chloride, nitrosyl, and benzoyl peroxide (a main ingredient in acne meds). The result is that half of the healthy fatty acids are lost in the milling process, as well as the wheat germ and bran, which contain vitamins and fiber. This process has turned one of the healthiest foods for us into one of the most highly allergenic, difficult-to-digest substances." - Jordan Rubin, GPRx

I used to think I was totally allergic to gluten ... but after trying whole wheat bread, and breads from sprouted grains like Ezekiel 4:9 bread, (they also make some badass cereal) I knew it had been all the packaged, enriched, processed junk shit that was messing me up.

Yall should give it a try, i think. Just make sure your bread is whole wheat, not white. And obviously not processed.

Ditto

I am sensitive to wheat, corn and gluten. It is interesting, because shortly before coming down with my very first flare, I was gorging on whole wheat carrot muffins. I also ate lots of whole wheat berries and pasta dishes as well as whole grain cereals. I wonder if eating a lot of a certain food, whatever it is, sets us up for a sensitivity to that food.