• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Overwhelmed

Hi All,
I am 19 Years old and on Tuesday I was diagnosed with Crohns, after weeks and months of ill health, and in one respect I am happy that I finally have an answer and some medication to ease all the terrible symptoms.
But my Gastro advised that I do some reading on Crohns so that I know what to expect, and it all sounds so negative, it's all 'What you can't eat' and the lists seem quite long in comparison to the foods you can eat.
I feel like there is no positives in this situation, and I think the fact that it is life long is not sinking in very well. I just want to know that it's not all bad news, as I am still quite ill with all the symptoms. I am quite down about the entire situation, and everyone's telling me to keep my chin up and stay positive but all the people saying this to me, don't have this condition. I just wanted some words of comfort and advice from real sufferers to hopefully cheer me up a bit.
Thankyou!
Holly

Hi Holly

I was diagnosed in 1996 and I live a very full life. Personally I don't avoid any particular food. I find in a flare pretty much everything is the same and out of a flare pretty much everything is fine. The only thing I gave up completely is caffeine and I feel a lot better for that.

It is a shock to be diagnosed and it takes a while to get used to living with Crohn's so what you are feeling is perfectly normal. Now you have a diagnosis, hopefully you are on the way to getting treatment that will improve your symptoms and get you back on track.

Let us know how you get on :)

Hi Holly!
So glad you found your way here. After I was diagnosed, I stumbled upon this forum and have been helped and encouraged so much by it.
I can relate to the feelings you are going through. It is hard news to get, but does not mean your life is over. Just different. I grieved over the diagnosed for awhile. I wanted it to just 'go away'. I think this is very normal and OK, you've just been given some life-changing news.
There is a GREAT thread called 'mini-vents' GO FOR IT!!!! I promise, it will make you feel better and no one will judge.
Welcome, Holly!!! Hope to see you around here.
Kelly

Hi Holly-

I can relate so much to what you are feeling. I was diagnosed about a month ago, and it kind of floored me. I have been on a rollercoaster of feelings since- glad not to have to feel like it was all in my head, sad that its a lifelong condition, terrified of the the things the disease may cause, and mourning loss of something, not sure what yet. I also can relate to the fact that others don't really get it even if they want to. I am starting to feel pretty hopeful about treatment and getting better and not letting this disease by the focus of my life (at least not the only focus :) ) Hope you feel more settled and like others have said, many who understand are here. I know the forum has been a lifeline to me.

Hi, Holly, I'm surprised your GI said that there is a list of "what you can and cannot eat" because my GI, and numerous others, have said it's "trial and error". What you and your doctor need to do is find the right treatment plan and you'll be back to your old self.

I was in a similar situation to you, just turned 20, and for months I was having all these symptoms, I actually thought I had bowel cancer because it's the first thing that comes to mind when you pass a load of blood, anyway, I was relieved when I found out what exactly it was because I was having a torrid 3 months, I went from 13 stone down to 9 stone in the space of 2 and a half months, but, once I found the right meds I gained a load of weight, eating what I wanted in the process, went to the gym and started to live normally again.

If it makes you feel better, I still go out every weekend with friends, drink, have a good time, I've been doing that for almost two years straight now, and when you have a bad day, you'll just need to take it easy and give your body time.

And, with more and more effective treatments in the pipeline, you shouldn't be worried.

You'll be fine.

P.S I hope you're not a Man City fan!! :p

Angrybird

Hello Holly and :welcome: There is a lot to take in when first diagnosed and it can all seem quite negative but things can get better - just know you have come to the right place though for all the info and support you need :) How are you doing at the moment? What meds have you been given?

AB
xx

Hi Holly

Welcome to the forum. There is a whole lot of info on here & everyone is so friendly & helpfull.

Thankyou all for your kind words. In answer to some of your questions,
I am currently on Pentasa 1g, 4 times a day. I am due to have a Colonoscopy soon to determine how much of me is affected by the inflammation and ulcers etc, and the results of that could alter the medication that I am on.
I am currently still suffering the symptoms of a flare as the medicine has yet to kick in (only on my 2nd day) I am starting to notice my joints, particularly my knees and wrists are very very achey and sore, and out of all the symptoms the one that is getting me down the most is the fatigue. I have 2 part time jobs which I haven't attended for 6 weeks because of this. I am also a student Teacher and was due to start my Final Teaching Observation of the year on Monday just gone, but had to have permission to have it moved due to ill health.
My GI told me to research the condition as a whole. It was me who noticed that a lot of websites and info sources focus on all the foods you cannot eat.
and yes, I am a city fan, Sorry.
Can't thank you enough for all the responses, really has perked me up!:ysmile:

Some of us aren't really affected by food. There are a couple things that I know will make my symptoms worse the next day (steak, black licorice, popcorn), but if I'm really craving them, I eat them anyway and just deal with the symptoms. The good news is Crohn's is not fatal, 99.9% of the time. You learn to live with it and work around it. I got very depressed after I was diagnosed at age 23 and ended up on antidepressants. After a year-long flare, I went into complete remission for 6 years. I actually started to doubt the diagnosis because I was completely normal. Now I'm in a flare again, but I know I'll eventually get back into remission.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Holly and welcome to the forum. I'm so glad you joined :)

You've received some wonderful insight above, I just wanted to chime in and welcome you to the community.

See you around!