• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

So who on here still likes the beer/wine

Hello everyone.

I am curiuos to know how many of you still get a bit boozy and if so how often.
Im just a normal bloke who enjoys the odd pint whilst going out with friends and family.
Yesterday i popped up the pub to watch the FA Cup final. I stayed longer than i should and came awaay a bit merry.
I had bunged myself with a few loperimide but knew i would pay for this later.
I cant drink lager anymore as its way too gassy and have had some messy occasions. It just goes straight through me and seems to come out like a fountain!!!! :) i tend too stick with ales and bitters these days. (no i do not where a flat cap and breed whippets) :)
I know i'll suffer but you have to do these thing sometimes.
Im really interested in how you all get on with the odd tipple, and what is your poison??!!

Chris xx

Trysha

Staff member
Hi Lois
Sorry I can't really help you here, I am a rare kind of tippler, just maybe Christmas and Easter.
Just as well really since it does play havoc with the crohn's., and its not worth it!
It might be a small glass of ginger wine or a nice sherry.
Its good that I don't need it ever so don't miss it at all.
As you say we all need to do these things sometimes.
Cheers!
Trysha

braveheart

Passionate Dreamer
I think that beer is the worst option for a Crohnie.

These are my “top quality” drinks:
-Red wine. Not wite wine. Not champagne. There are lot's of qualities so try an expensive one.
-Aged rum. Aged, not the white one.
-Fernet. You can only get this from Argentina or Italy.

Of course a doctor would say we have not to drink alcohol, but I am not a doctor.

Antibiotics I am on warn not to consume any. But I am also afraid of the consequences. Hate to get a good drunk on and have to run to the can.

Terriernut

You actually posted this on the stoma subforum! Frankly, I can drink with the best of em if I have to, Stan will take care of it!

Would you like me to move this to the General Discussion bit instead??
:rof:

Since diagnosed I dont drink often - only to toast a birthday etc (not to say I don't miss it) I mean I'm no alcoholic but a lot of people find the odd drink after a long week at work helps unwind..

Terriernut

Bless! I havent got a problem with white or rose wine! Never did drink the hard stuff. Beer and I havent gotten along for years. Cider (apple) makes my stomach rumble but I ignore it on a hot day.

But I never get drunk. That must be the difference. I can drink, and thank goodness for Stan. Hard worker. Must give him a raise. Or a toast on his birthday at the very least!

I'm not a great drinker but am of the opinion that you only live once so if the fancy arises why the heck not!!! Obviously all in moderation!
Mine is half a Kronenburg or a glass of white thanx :beerchug:

I lived in Tenerife for 18 months and when we first moved out there, I used to have a drink, Friday and Saturday nights. Towards the end of our time out there the Crohns had got way out of control. I'm not saying it was all the drink, before we left the UK we had suffered two bereavements, plus the stress of the move, but possible the drink didnt help. Now i dont drink as the cocktail of pills is so varied and I suffer side -effects without throwing alcohol into the mix lol
When i did drink it was alcopops and cider, not together I hasten to add x

annawato

Staff member
i enjoy a glass of red or white or a g and t. Don't have my stoma any more but when I did I had a huge problem with the bag filling up and blowing off so I avoided drinks with bubbles ( and baked beans and cabbage etc etc) which made it worse.

Nyx

I can drink anything without too many problems....prior to my stoma I couldn't drink anything, I was on too many meds.

KWalker

Alcohol doesn't bother me either, but I don't have a stoma. I don't drink often but on a few occasions I've definitely gone hard.

PsychoJane

Without the med, I can drink pretty much anything but I'd rather avoid "commercial" beer cause they get me too gasy. Microbrewery beers are generally fine. No problem with cocktails, rhum punch, sangria, and what not... Only danger is being too drunk to take care of the bag... It can be bad... been there, done that xD

I love a drink once a week usually a Friday straight after work. I struggle with 2 nights in a row but still able to manage a few in one sitting!!! I don't drink as much as before but think this is an age thing rather than crohns. When I was bad (pre surgery) I didn't feel like drinking though. Red wine and a couple of vodkas do me with an occasional Guinness and very occasionally a shot depending on the night. I find it's the mixers that annoy me more than the alcohol so can't do fizzy but in general it makes me a bit more crampy the next day but i can live with that. I used to drink vodka and redbull but not now as it runs through me and anyhow I'm too old for that now lol.

I like a drink :dance::dance:

I had an ileostomy for 12 months and the first thing i asked the stoma nurse was could i still drink :rof:

Not sure why i thought i couldnt?

When i had the ileostomy i did have to retain some physical ability when drinking in order to deal with the bag but since the reversal i have been in some serious states :dance:

I cant really drink lager or anything fizzy but red wine slips down nicely and guiness actually seems to improve things!

I have a gang of girls i go out with every month or two and we get very giggly :dance:

I shall not be giving up alcohol in the near future :D

Astra

Vodka
anything else cripples me, too much gassy stuff and lotsa crap go into beer and lager etc.
I can drink vodka, shedloads of it, no problem!:cheerss:

( I don't have a stoma btw)

White wine & spirits for me. Hardly touch beer these days or red wine which I love. They just annihilate my guts.
Rgds
Grant

I went heavy on the drink last night, got involved in drinking games, went to bed, room started to spin, jumped up, ran for my back yard and puked like there was no tomorrow, I was puking so much I couldn't catch my breath, scary stuff considering it felt like I was on a merry go round the whole time.

Not fun, even typing this and reading the replies I feel nauseous. The worst hangover I've had in years.

I'll drink anything. Luckily the base I use is very, very strong and can deal with anything so I don't have to worry about leakages with the watery output.

I've never been a beer drinker, but I drink most anything else. I've not had any problems with leaks, although I know that wine goes right through me...I just make sure that I'm somewhere with a bathroom close by to empty my bag. If I'm out for the evening, i empty before heading home.

One of the many good things about having a stoma is being able to drink again.

Kismet

No stoma here, but I do drink. Was in my 20's when diagnosed, the only time the doc advised me not to drink was when on Flagyl, other than that, I continued to be the normal 20 something and drink with friends on a regular basis. I still drink wine, beer, or mixed drinks, which could be with rum, whiskey or tequila.

I haven't had a drop of alcohol in nearly two years now, not for any medical reasons, just that the novelty wore off a few years after achieving legal drinking age and i sort of just got bored with it. It was quite fun at the time though but my stoma output wasn't exactly pretty after a couple pints of Guinness:lol:
Nowadays i'd much rather have a nice cold soft drink than a pint of beer.

i go out loads still with my student friends- some of who don't know about my bag.

for e.g. last weekend we went out and had rum, whiskey, cocktails and wine....i was off my face! lol proud of myself for being able to empty my bag yet at the same time hardly be able to walk in a straight line.

i have yet to find a drink that causes me problems.

Crohn'sFor Life

Colon Free!
I do like to drink...and binge every now and then. This past new years I got so drunk that I could not handle my bag. I am sooo thankful that my wife helped me to clean up my Mom's bathroom.

Cetirizine, Tramadol and alcohol are not a good mix.

I do love beer, sake and good single malt scotches.

braveheart

Passionate Dreamer
Another vote for red wine:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/prostate-benefits-from-red-wine

I think that beer is the worst option for a Crohnie.

These are my “top quality” drinks:
-Red wine. Not wite wine. Not champagne. There are lot's of qualities so try an expensive one.
-Aged rum. Aged, not the white one.
-Fernet. You can only get this from Argentina or Italy.

Of course a doctor would say we have not to drink alcohol, but I am not a doctor.

Terriernut

Just saw my GI today, he certainly didnt say not to drink alcohol! He said dont drink ALOT of alcohol. Which is a good idea for anyone.

As in, dont go over the recommended weekly limit of 14 units a week for a female.

I don't have a stoma, but I have had ups and downs with alcohol since my diagnosis - I was quite the social drinker and it was annoying when I was really sick to have friends asking about my illness saying, "So.. when can you drink again?". Like that was the most important thing! 2-3 drinks is about my limit these days; any more and then I'll start to need the bathroom a lot and just feel tired and want to go home. I find gin & tonics are easiest on my stomach, with non-alcoholic drinks in between so I can stay out for longer. God bless mocktails! Although I did go to a work do recently and managed to get roaring drunk on white wine and make a complete ass of myself without getting sick - wow I haven't done that in nearly a year! I had an honest to goodness hangover the next day, it'd been a while since I had that old feeling.

All in moderation, even for us Crohnies! :wink: