• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

16 teenager with Chrons!:)

I am a 16 year old girl in high school, I have had Chrons for almost 4 years! I feel like I have a crazy story.. But, looking at everyone else's story I feel like we have the same life or yours is worse.. In the 6th grade I remember very well how I had to find out "the story of my life". For six weeks, going to the doctor every week and every week they told me I had the flu, without tests just a simple temp check. My mom had to finally say that she wanted a blood test done to get this all figured out. Anyway the doctors had a theory that I was allergic to glutin, or wheat. Being on a diet like that for a week was CRAZY! And I was still very sick could not keep anything I put in my mouth down. After CT scans, MRI's, upper& lowerGI's, lots of blood work and more they came to find I had Chrons disease. I'm very active in sports volleyball& Softball. Being late to practices or missing them has deffainltly changed me playing skills and Gpa at school. Most of my friends know about my disease but very very few understand whats really going on in my body:) I feel like this is Way way to long but I had found out about this forum and really would like to talk to people that really understand and get what I'm going through! :)

Hi and welcome to the forum!! :)

I'm not sure how much investigating you have done so far but I wanted to recommend that you definitely check out our teens only forum! There are MANY people of all ages who can identify with your story!

Also as just a little advice don't ever be afraid to ask questions!! No matter how embarassing it may seem, there is always someone else who has gone through it. We all support each other here and there is a wealth of information available to you.

Again, welcome!!

David

Co-Founder
Hi Hollie and welcome to the forum! There's certainly plenty of people to talk to here who understand all too well what you're going through.

Are you on any medications? How are you feeling these days?

I wish you all the best!

Welcome Hollie :) I can relate to you in that I was diagnosed young as well (12) and was in and out of the hospital as a teen. When I was younger I felt very isolated because of my disease and it was hard at times. I ended up having to do homeschool (where a teacher from the school came to me) because I was
Too sick to go to school. My teens years were no doubt the hardest so I commend you for looking for support to get through them :) now 24, married, with a 2 yr old & one on the way. Im workin on my college degrees from home and life is going on. At some point I realized I had to stop comparing myself to other people in my age group and what a young person is "suppose to do". I never thought I'd go down the path I did but ultimately it led me to the same place that I wanted and I think that's ultimately all that matters. I remember something that helped me was support groups at my local children's hospital, maybe that is something you could benefit from as well.