• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Something to ponder, my Crohns has been removed recently...

So now I am clear. No Crohns. As long as I stay healthy, don't smoke, eat low fibre/spice, gym, etc. what's the likelihood of it coming back and is it true it can grow out the older we get? Looking forward to the conversation. Cheers.

Hiya Kilbey only me again lol

how longs a piece of string... i wouldn't get too complacent, i've heard of many conditions burning themselves out as we get older but not crohns i'm afraid,, that said i've read a few times that the 1st episode can ofter be the worst. but hey ho stay healthy

Cheers young lady. I wanna know why bananas are so good for Crohns, also read mango great for the gut?? However, high in sugar. Too much sugar is bad for Crohns, right??

ha ha liking the young... i'm a sugarholic prob why my guts are frazzled now, some peops can eat fruit but many can't, i'm fine with all fruit and veg though

Angrybird

Hi there, unfortunatly at this time there is no cure for crohns just treatment that can hopefully put you in long periods of remission. As already mentioned the key is to not get complacement and as soon as you start getting any symptoms that is not the 'norm' contact your doc so you can catch things sooner rather than later. Some people here have had years of remission and others only a few months, as per usual with this disease there is no hard and fast rule to follow.

Wishing you a nice long time of being well :)

AB
xx

NB I always though bananas were to be avoided as they are high in fibre?

From everydayhealth.com -- Bananas are generally well tolerated during flare-ups and provide a good source of potassium. By adding banana slices to low-fiber breakfast cereals, creamy yogurts, and cottage cheese, you can easily boost the nutrition and flavor. And definitely try my banana ice cream: Cut ripe bananas into one-inch rounds and freeze in a freezer bag. When you’re ready for ice cream, place banana slices in food processer (I let them thaw for half an hour on the counter so they puree better) and puree until smooth. You’ll make sweet, ultra-creamy, pure banana ice cream. You can also add one tablespoon of smooth natural peanut butter into the mix, and ta-da, you have delicious PB & banana ice cream...

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'm sorry I'm curious, how was your Crohn's removed (no cure and all)? Just says so in your title.

Also bananas give me diarrhea. :/

Had a bad blockage that went undetected where small bowel meets large, I was lucky as Crohns came back in exactly same place as before, no spread [so far]. The stricture and blockage was removed along with a cheeky fistula that had formed as a short cut from the blockage to the large intestine. x. Now all Crohns out for now. Last op lasted about 8 years. I live a much healthier lifestyle now. Fingers crossed I can keep at bay forever. Cheers.:thumright:

Hi!
I had surgery recently and I was also told all of inflammation/crohns have been removed. I'm keen to know what diet to follow to reduce the chances of it returning!

A lot of diets suggest you try things out and see what sort of response you get, but if I don't have any active crohns I may not get a negative response but it might be doing damage? Like eating sugar apparently builds up bad bacteria and increases likelihood of crohns returning? And nuts/grains/fibre can irritate it too and lead to inflammation returning in the long term? But then how does nuts etc fit into scd diet? Very confused!!

Thanks!x

Hi All,
I've had 4 surgerys. After the last one my surgeon told me to eat healthy and try eating high in fiber foods. This goes against the thought of eating soft easy to digest food I have always followed. The analogy he used is when the bowel is clear then high fiber foods act like a scrub brush to scour out residue. The gastrodoc just wants to put me on humira and other drugs.
I understand that when in a flared state we can't eat things like raw vegatables etc. because of obstuction or partial obstuction, but I've been in remmission since the last surgery and had to try something different.

Had a recent colonoscopy.
NO SIGN OF CROHNS! I am so happy. Altough I'm not celiac, I cut way back on wheat products anyway. Currently eating as healthy as possible. Cut out all junk food, processed foods and way back on sugar and fat. Lots of water. I know its chronic. I know I still have it. If it flares I can always try the biologicals later, but for now it's in check. Everyones different, but this is what seems to be working for me for now.
Good luck to all of us.
Gary

Crrent med...Methotrexate supplimented with folic acid.
Current vitamins & herbs...Vit B-12 jabs,multi-vit,D-3,fish oil,iron,cats claw

ps. 18.5% of crohns patients also have celiac disease.

Last edited:
Am I hearing positive notes regarding surgery or? I have an 11 year old diagnosed 2 years ago. We are currently on day 9 of hospital and two infusions of remicade over last 4 weeks that did not work. We are waiting for an additional biopsy to come back in hopes of some type of infection however next step has been spoken of surgery; complete colon removal. She is 11.

This seems like if medicine is not working there should be another option other than removing an 11 year olds colon? Any thoughts? Any thoughts that might help reduce the inflammation natualpath wise before choosing surgery?

Clearly an 11 year old is panicking about the thought of wearing a "poop bag" her words on the outside of her tummy. Scary stuff and I feel like there should be something else to offfer?

Hi Elbugtay,
Eating healthy seems to be working for me so far, (crohns) but I'm not sure thats the simple answer for everyone. (colitis?) I'm not up to speed on naturalpath. Be patient, I think the bilogicals, remicade, humira, may take longer than 4 weeks to achieve results. Anyone else know? Surgery is sometimes the last resort in crohns, It can bring fast relief, especially with complications such as fistulas and stictures. Easy for me to say. I was 30 when I had my first surgery. My heart goes out to kids affected with this. Don't be afraid to look for more help on different topics and threads as it applys to your situation.
There is lots of love and support on this site.
Gary

Am I hearing positive notes regarding surgery or? I have an 11 year old diagnosed 2 years ago. We are currently on day 9 of hospital and two infusions of remicade over last 4 weeks that did not work. We are waiting for an additional biopsy to come back in hopes of some type of infection however next step has been spoken of surgery; complete colon removal. She is 11.

This seems like if medicine is not working there should be another option other than removing an 11 year olds colon? Any thoughts? Any thoughts that might help reduce the inflammation natualpath wise before choosing surgery?

Clearly an 11 year old is panicking about the thought of wearing a "poop bag" her words on the outside of her tummy. Scary stuff and I feel like there should be something else to offfer?
How awful to be dealing with that as an 11yr old! I find it so hard as a 38 year old!
I was surprised to hearing you talk about removal of colon and having to wear an ostomy bag? I had my entire colon removed - except rectum - and didn't have to wear a bag? It was only after fourth surgery (perforated bowel) and removal of significant small bowel that resulted in short gut syndrome that I had to have an ileostomy bag and even THEN my surgeon did a reversal for me. I would think there are options and it is always a good idea to get a second or even third opinion, especially if your doctor is looking at a "poop bag" for an eleven year old!

For some who end up with a bag following surgery it is only temporary and once the bowel has been given time to heal it can be reversed. Ive also met others who have the single surgery and that puts them into remission for years, so I guess its different for everyone...

See ya,
L

vegetables guys vegetable..and no meats..please turn vegetarians..belive me that will help a lot..especially for peopel who are wondering what to have and what not after surgery.

Eat all whole foods that YOU cook yourself. Veg and fruits except citris. No starchy things like white bread ,flour etc... Take probiotic multi-enzyme formula with every meal. Eat and drink all natural, no preservatives or chemicals. We were not created to eat all this junk. No nitrate foods either like hotdogs, sausage etc... Keep it as real as you can. My advice because it worked for me.:heart: Teresa

Please. How is she now??? Teresa:heart: