• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Croup

croup

So everyone in my house is sick. My sister and her son have croup my son has had a cold for close to 2 weeks(I think he has an ear infection...perhaps worse) and last night I woke up at 3am feeling like my throat was swollen...to swollen and everytime I started to cough I gagged along with it. Now I'm running a fever as well as everyone else. Sometimes I hate being on so much medicine. It helps the crohns but not so much my immunity. My fiance was pretty upset that I asked him to get me some night time cough suppressant...sorry hun you got to sleep last night the least you could do is give me a little break. Anyway does anyone have any advice to getting better and avoiding croup...yeah I know it's rare for an adult to get it but if my sister(whos older than me) can get it I'm pretty sure an immune suppressed girl like me can too...

Beef up on that Vitamin D! Add some cinnamon to tea (cinnamon is anti-flem and suppose to have other healing properties). Get some good probiotics and take those daily. Of course, plenty of hot liquids, rest...the usual...feel better!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Had to look it up, never heard of it. Really all you can do now to avoid it is how you avoid everything else. Wash you hands frequently, never touch your mouth, eyes and nose, drink plenty of fluids and basically hope and or pray.

Sounds like you already have something and since you've got a reduced immune system it may be a good idea to get checked out by your GP and let them know what sort of illnesses have been loosed in your home. Hope that swelling doesn't get any worse. Be careful with that.

Don't forget steam inhalations! Fill a bowl with boiling hot water, put your face over it and put a towel over your head to make a tent. Breathe deeply.

Or get the whole family in the bathroom, turn off the fan, and fill the bath with hot water- it will do the kids the world of good with their symptoms too!

I agree with rebecca.

Steam helped my daughter with croup. It helps open up the airways I think.

Thanks everyone. I gave my son some cough syrup last night and turned on his humidifyer and he slept a good while and when he woke up he was fever free! hopefully he stays like that.

I also took some nyquill last night...I was afraid I'd wake up with an ear infection because whenever I take nyquill I seem to wake up with ear infections. I turned on my humidifyer and I woke without an ear infection only a small fever and feeling much better. My limbs feel heavy but nothing bad.

You may be allergic to something in the Nyquil that would cause your sinuses to swell and then block up the ear and get an infection? A thought....

*sigh* my happy dance went away when I took DS to the doc. He has an ear infection and a sinus infection. He was cleared of pnemonia and croup though so thats good news. After we filled his medicine we found out he was running a fever of 102, we'll have to see how his fever is going on Fri though. If it's still lingering we'll have to take him back in.

Me? I went to work and it's a good thing I did since it was only me and my manager though my fever spiked out and I was exahsted within the first 2 hours. Still I made up a couple of hours that I missed out on.