• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diagnosed Crohns 2008

Hi everyone,

I have been visiting the site and looking up threads quite regularly, so though t only fair to share my story also.
I was diagnosed initially with UC in 2008 a month after my mother passed away. She was 57 and had been living with BC since 2000. I was admitted to hospital for a week in April 2008 due to dehydration caused by severe diarrhoea (was up to 20 times a day at this point) underwent sigmoidoscopy? and various scans, put on UV drip of steroids and fluids.
In short, the reults of another colonoscopy now proved to be Crohns rather than UC as it affects my Terminal Ilieum? Sorry, not to good on all the science yet!
Have been on various courses of treatment, had a couple of flare ups per year, that have been controlled with Prednisolone tablets. Also have been tried on course of both Azathioprine and Methotrexate (not together), which both affected my liver & kidney function within a month of taking them.
My symptoms however have been 10 times better since I gave up smoking in Jan 2011. Didn't realise how much of a positive affect it would have.. so please, all you smokers out there, don't give up giving up! It's worth it believe me!
More recently though I have been noticing problems with my bladder. There's some but not a lot of pain all of the time, but (quite embarressingly) it tends to be leaking a bit, with a few bubbles now and then.. sounds quite comical.. but I wasn't sure whether this could be a sign of a fistula? would I be experiencing more pain if I did?
By the way, not on any medication at the moment apart from 30mg Codeine Phosphate average once a day.

Thanks guys.. good site, very helpful! :heart:

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :bigwave: I myself have not had this problem, but hopefully someone who has may be able to come along and advise. How is the tum itself doing, it is completely settled?

AB
xx

I thought one had to get an abscess before they got a fistula? When one gets an abscess it's very painful, you will know you have some sort of infection because it feels like it! The it creates the fistula. Have you gotten any fevers lately?

Hi charlibrown and welcome sorry you've had a tough couple of years. Yes bubbles can be a sign of a fistula and definitely needs investigation. Leaking has many causes also from pelvic floor weakness infection to a prolapsed disc so also needs investigated but impossible to tell from your symptoms. When were you last reviewed by a GI? You need to get a set of bloods taken to see if any markers ie inflammatory or infection are raised then you need a scan to check out for the fistula. Hope you get some answers soon

Hi Angrybird.. tummy is not too bad generally, just the bladder thing thats causing the pain.
Thanks Hope4, getting an abscess first sounds logical, and you're right, I'm sure I'd know about it.. I did used to get fairly infected boils on my butt cheeks a long time ago, mainly in my 20's but put this down to a tooth infection! Haven't had any fevers lately. I otherwise feel generally fit and healthy, even training for a 10k run at the moment!
Archie, thanks for your comments.. forgot to say I did get a urine sample tested, but came back with no infection showing, have been doing the good old pelvic floor exercises. I have contacted my GI as I had an appointment in July that I'm hoping to bring forward. Will speak to him then..
thanks for the advice guys! will keep updating x

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome, it's great to have you here :) You've received some good advice, I just wanted to welcome you as well. I hope they get that bladder thing figured out soon and it turns out not to be a fistula.

Oh, and some fistulas can be asymptomatic and people never know they have them and don't need to be treated. Naturally if you have one tunneling into your bladder it will need to be, my point here is you wouldn't necessarily have noticed anything different leading up to your present problem.

Take care and see you around :)

Thank you David, I spoke to my GI nurse yesterday who said that the pains, bloating and cramps around my bladder and leakage could be due to severe constipation! She said that even though I have diarrhoea on and off and still pass something, the blockage further up the 'pipe' could be like a traffic jam and only letting bits through occasionally. I have been given Laxido to take 8 satchets dissolved in 2ltrs water over 4hrs for the next 3 days, to see if they can clear me out. If I still have the pain and cramps then they will investigate further... hope I don't need another camera, but hope it sorts me out! :ybiggrin:

Zxx