• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Apologies if it's already posted

kiny

What's hilarious is that splenda is found in diet cokes/ soda, and the other post right below this one suggests it might be saccharin, also found in diet cokes / soda.

What's more ridiculous is that I was drinking coke zero when reading this and spit it out.

Maybe we should do a poll, how many people here have drank diet soda?

What's great about this is that everyone can actually try this like the article suggests. Unlike a diet there should be no consequence to our bodies by taking out splenda and saccharin, it just means you have to check online or email the company and ask them if it's in there. I'll start by never touching coke zero again lol.

It's yet another very misleading article. They are loosely insinuating that maltodextrin, rather than the aspartame or sucralose, in artificial sweeteners, might be a possible problem ingredient.
Maltodextrin is a natural source carbohydrate (consisting of glucose chains) that is easily digested and used in many things (including Ensure and other supplement drinks.) It is not considered a harmful ingredient in any sense, whereas the artificial sweeteners may be.

PsychoJane

It's gonna be hard to confirm it but I did a quick research on sciences publications sites and I ran in it. It's been published by the American Gastroenterology Association so it's at the least a little serious. It's early to confirm anything about it I believe but what they say seems to make sense. Anyway, except for diabetics, I can't be harmful to cut maltodextrin of your diet.

IMO, we are far better off without modified food... My motto is if it grows that way it's OK, otherwise... I believe it can be harmful at some point. I have to say that I stay away from pretty much any type of "wanna be sugar", I've always thought they were suspicious.