• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My 18 Year Battle with Crohn's

Hi Folks- I am new to this site, and to Crohn's forums in general, I guess I was skeptical about what kind of information/knowledge could be gained from this, since I was first diagnosed with Crohn's officially in 1999. After spending some time the past few weeks reading some of the personal stories and struggles, I was very impressed with this site and the quality of information available. Everyone here seems generally willing to share and help, and I feel fortunate to have found this site. So here is my story:

I believe the first symptoms appeared around 1991. I was getting rectal fissures, which I attributed to a job I did riding a bicycle for 40 hours a week during the summer. I had a couple of incidents of pain in my side that after some blood work, and having a high white blood cell count, was an undetermined ailment. The rectal fissures did not go away, even with repeated trips to the doctors who even tried to burn them with silver nitrate to get them to heal. Eventually they found a pilonidal cyst that was draining and they felt kept me fissures from healing. So my first surgery was to remove the cyst.

The cyst never really healed for several years, so I had this open wound just inside my butt crack(so not visible). For the better part of 1991 - 1998 things slowly went down hill, although I don't remember that much during those years as I was busy going to college and getting my first career job. I know that my bm's were getting looser and looser, and the cramps, bloating that one normally has I always seemed to attribute to something I ate.

In 1999 it reached a peak where I lost nearly 40 pounds in a few months, was working all day, and sitting on the couch all night, due to being completely exhausted. I ate very little and had sores on my tongue and mouth that made it difficult to swallow salty foods. When I worked I had to be near a bathroom. I finally decided enough was enough and saw a family doctor specifically about the diahrea and urges to go. He sent me to a surgeon for a colonoscopy who misdiagnosed me with UC. With the combination of prednisone and sulfa things improved, however this was the band aid approach.

After flaring I was then sent to my current Gastroenterologist. After another colonoscopy I now was diagnosed properly with Crohns. Initially my GI put me on immuran after an infusion of Remicade. This combination worked wonders and kept me in remission for a few years. Actually longer however my colon decided that the inflammation, healing, and inflammation was too much, actually narrowing my colon to where food was having trouble passing. I would get severe cramps and generally vomit my food that would not pass.

After another colonoscopy, upper and lower GI. (BTW do not ever, I mean ever have a lower GI if you don't have to especially if you have fissures. Very painful.) It was determined that I needed surgery to remove the narrowed section.

Summer 2003 had the resection surgery, which was longer than expected, as they found crohn's randomly throughout my colon. After seing this the surgeon took most of my colon, except for about 8 inches. Enough to resection. Spent a wek in the hospital. The goal was to remove all signs of crohn's to heal me for good.

Guess what, within a year I was back to the GI. Flaring again. The plan since 2004 has been Infusion with Remicade every 8 weeks, and up until April I took Immuran. I had been good for the past few years until I was taken off immuran, had my first flare. Was then put on Prednisone to get me to my next infusion. Now they have been upping the dosage of Remicade each time to keep me well.

Naturally with an 8" colon my bm's are never really solid, as very little water get's absorbed. So diahrea has been the norm for me for years. Fissures still, yes. However during all of this I have been able to eat what I want, with few exceptions. Corn, peas and similar raw vegetables still get stuck, so I avoid them.

I am hoping the Remicade continues to work for me, however am concerned that I can't be on it forever, and am only 36 years old. Will I have to get a bag at some point and have the rest of what's left taken? I am supposed to see the GI in the next two months to discuss the future. That should be interesting.....

Please feel free to share your thoughts on my situation, it's nice to know I am among friends here.

Hi Teeny and Pen- thanks for the warm welcome. Pen- I too was highly allergic to Remicade in the beginning(04) but found if they gave me combination of benadryll and Psimedidine(sp?) to combat the allergy and then slowed the rate of the infusion down to where it takes about 6 hrs to get infused now. I have little if any reaction to it. Don't know if this will help others who might benefit from remicade but are allergy prone like me and you. Also last summer I met a fellow crohnie that had surgical scars. He recommended Questran, but I have never tried it, it may be time to give it a try, I will talk w/ my doc. Thanks!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Ha! I was already singing that song before I read your post Katiesue.

Hi inspector, and welcome.
I also think about what I will be doing years down the road. Luckily, they are doing research and hopefully there will be new things by the time we really run out of options.
One thing about the Questran, I believe it robs your body of calcium really badly, so you'll have to take a supplement.
I think I read somewhere that the risk of taking it is not worth the benefit, but I have no idea where I read that.

Why Gadget?

KatieSue/MyBUttHurts-

Just a bit of history.. I was nicknamed Gadget by coworkers about 12 years ago because of my liking of electronic gadgets, computers, etc. I never took the nickname as a slam and it stuck with me all these years. Now that I have been my coworkers boss for the past three years, they still call me Gadget, and I am still cool with it. In fact I think the nickname goes well with me, if you remember the Cartoon and movie, Gadget' body parts did special things. CD has made my body do many special things over the years.
:lol:

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Do you wear trench coats?

Great nickname. Welcome to the forum. I feel like the lucky one on-line - have avoided steroid treatments and surgeries.

I cannot imagine what you're going through but we're all here to listen, offer encouragement and provide a few laughs to brighten our days.

I swear that if you start shooting people with a water pistol that comes out of your head, I'm leaving. :ylol2:

Welcome to the forum :)

hi Gadget, & welcome to the forum :)

i've heard of people having stoma reversals, & suffering loose, almost diarrhea, motions as a result of having very little colon left. i am almost sure there is something medicinal which can help to counteract this.. maybe talk to a stoma nurse, if the GI doesn't come up with something. often the stoma nurses see more of the long-term after effects of surgery like this, than the doctors do, & may be more up to date on coping strategies.

I was just wondering if there is anyone using cimzia or tysabri now because those are the ones my doctors are recomending now?? I worry about pml with tysabri since I had such a horrible reaction with the Remicade.

hey la la
if you want you can start a new thread in another section, youll probably get a better response, but ill answer here with what i know

i havent been on cimzia, but i know theres a handful of members on here that are on it or have been.
and tysabri i was just on recently. i started taking it in january 09 and stopped in the end of march, after 2 doses, due to the fact that it was having barely any effect.

i too was creeped out by the prospect of the side effects but it was either try the tysab or go in for surgery, so i decided to try the medicinal route one last time.
now i am 4 weeks post ileostomy surgery.
i made a thread to track my progress/thoughts etc while i was on the tysab
and heres the link for it
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=4646

i hope that helps! like i said, if you start a new thread with your questions itll be easier for people to find and respond to, ok?
take care