• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My swimming girl

crohnsinct

Haha "because I told her to take it" Congrats on your daughter realizing that you actually know what you are talking about!

Congrats to Sarah for the Textile Design spot...it is obvious to the committee she has a talent...so glad the school realized it as well!

We also just passed a two year anniversary. Eerie eh? Didn't realize we were so close in our paths.

Where's she working?

It's good when they get their own money, they actually think twice before they buy something....well my daughter does.

Catherine

Sarah is now a qualified swimming teacher. Just has to get level 2 first aid, then she can start job number 2.:eek2::eek2:

Catherine

Wow! Like I said a go getter! I hope she doesn't get to busy to remember to eat!
Don't think that's will be a problem.

Job no 1 has roster her on for 3 hours per week at the moment.

Job no 2 will give her one permanent 5hr shift, hopefully 5hrs in the water will make her hungry.

Univ is 16 contact hour per week and that doesn't start until 3rd March.

Catherine

Thanks everyone. Sarah is completing her first aid on Sunday and as of today she now has 3 shifts next week for job number two.

This should make her feel hungry. If 12 hour in water doesn't make her hungry nothing will.

Catherine

Sarah is eating more after swimming teacher job.

Boyfriend has comment on weight loss I think he is concerned. He has Celiac disease with all the issues it brings.

Sarah applied for youth allowance and is receiving enough to buy a sandwich a fortnight. But she got a health care card:eek2::eek2: This was a surprise in the mail.

Catherine

Without a health card we pay $36 for prescription with a health card we paid $6.

It also gives public transport discounts.

Really its a low income discount card.

Catherine

Her calprotectin has come back a 84 (normal <50). GI has decided time for a visit, although only a very mild increase. Weight now stable at 55kg.

Don't know what to think anymore.

Last edited:

Catherine

GI visit is next Friday.

Her weight is still 55kg. She is much more active and appears to be eating well. She attending uni 4 days a week. Working 2-3 shifts week as a swimming teacher and 2 shifts at a take away place. She is also starting a modelling course in a fortnight.

Her energy levels are good, she just very thin.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Good luck with the appointment! :goodluck:

I so hope all continues to fall into place for Sarah, she is doing so well! :ghug:

Dusty. xxx

Tesscorm

Staff member
Good luck! It sounds like she's doing really well! Hope her thinness is just because of her busy lifestyle! :)

Catherine

GI visit.

It was agreed that Sarah should maintain her weight at 54kg :eek2:but the GI would like it to be 1-2kgs higher. The weightloss may have been due to giving up swimming. If she can't maintain weight by eating she needs to use a supplement like Sustain.

Overall she look well, she bloods are all normal except hemcrit (this due to prolonged anemia). There is nothing in bloods to suggest any possibility of thalanemia.

She is truly in clinic remission, calprotectin is 84. The aim is to get this below 50. Retesting in a month.

Last edited:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
:thumleft::thumleft::thumleft::thumleft::thumleft::thumleft::thumleft:

Woohoo! Fab update Catherine. Long may it continue. :heart:

Dusty. xxx

Catherine

Sarah has completed her first semester of university.

She remains in remission and is working as a swimming teacher.:hug:

I have added at new Album for semester 1.

Catherine

Just a quick update here of my diary.

Sarah is out of remission. Her calprotectin level is now 398 (up from 84 in late feb) GI is doing further blood tests to work out plan.

At this time she has no clear symptoms of active Crohn's

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I am so very sorry to hear this Catherine. :ghug:

I hope whatever is going on can be nipped in the bud quickly. Good luck!

Dusty. xxx

Catherine

Sarah has spoken to her course co-ordinator. She must be getting concerned. The maximum extension on any assignment is one week. Then it has to go higher. Something about it won't be fail and not a pass either. Just keep her formed.

The 29 August is last day to defer without financial penalty.

Catherine

Quick update on Sarah.

We have up her azathriophrine to 200mg and added Mesalazine. She has been fighting cold for last five weeks.

She has been granted two extensions on university assignments.

There has been some concern with her job as the pool in under new management and they all had to reapply for there jobs.

The GI agreed she could stop taking all supplements and would retest levels in two months.

We got the bill for the azathriophrine levels blood test. Sarah handed me the bill with comment your still paying medical costs? I almost fall of my chair, $250. I trying to get the bill reduced. Will be getting quote next time.

Catherine

Another quick update.

The university year has finished. The cold is gone.

Managed to get the Azathriphrine test bill reduced to $100. Have found a new lab who will sent the test to Brisbane and will try and bulk bill for me.

Sarah hopes to do a lot of swim teacher shifts as she is planning her first trip overseas.

We currently looking for a weaving machine as she plans to major in weaving.

I don't think the current treatment plan is working but there are no clear signs of a Crohn's flare. She is sleeping a lot. At times she looks very unwell.

She has decide to start a low sugar diet.

Last edited:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Thanks for the update Catherine. :)

Many good things happening but I am sorry to hear that all is still not quite well with your lass. :ghug: I so hope things soon turn around for her and the no signs of a flare stay that way!

Where is she planning to go overseas? :)
Just a tip: My Sarah has had no issues getting travel insurance through CoverMore.

Dsuty. xxx

Catherine

She is planning a 14 day package trip to Europe.

I write CoverMore policies, they don't seem have a problem covering Crohn's so long as you have not a surgery in the last two years.

Sarah is collecting longer list of foods that she can no longer eat. Chocolate milk, fish & chips and nachos.

Catherine

Blood results

Hemoglobin 11.7 ( 11.5-16.5)
PVC 34.3 (37-47)
RCC 3.75 (3.80 -5.00)
RDW 16.1 ( 11-16)
Comment:essentially within normal limits

Total Protein 64 (65-85)

Ferritin. 16 ( 15- 165)

:ack:these results are not normal they heading in the wrong direction:ack:

Tell your daughter that if she's going to Europe she needs to come and visit us. Happy to negotiate about putting some cash towards difference in flight costs.

Catherine

Maree. there is a boy involved!! He has asked her to go travelling for 6 months!! She did look up the travel information. None of her clothes are suitable!!

Any sensible 6 months overseas trip plan should included max number of relatives and family friends who you can hit up for free accomodation.

How does this work with university? Is it on the cards or unlikely to happen?

Catherine

we are on holiday at Numurkah, internet in patch at best.

Only found out this morning she was considering going for 6 months. She would to defer for at least 6 months.

Catherine

Christmas 2014, we have a quite family day with another family.

Sarah didn't eat much. She has had stomach pain off and on for the last few weeks. She being saying it not Crohn's pain!! Today after lunch she admit for the first time that today pain is "Crohn's pain"

She put a faecal calprotectin sample in for testing last week.

I have had an appointment with her GI for 21 January to discuss the overseas trip.

Merry Christmas everyone.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I am so sorry to hear this Catherine, sending much love and hugs your way! :ghug:

Thinking of you and your girl. :heart:

Dusty. xxx

Catherine

Sarah's fc is 190. It better but GI would like it lower.

We have appointment with GI to discuss overseas trip on 21 January. Current thinking is that they will go in March and be back in time for the start of the 2016 university year.

There few solid plans for this trip. At this stage she has applied for a passport but not received it. You need passport to applies for a UK working visa. The visa takes approximately 3 months.

GI have advised that she needs to start the process of arranging treatment in UK before leaving Australia. At this stage I have been advised that a UK GP unlikely to be able to write scripts for aza without her being under a UK GI. It maybe difficult to get a GP to order the necessary blood test for aza.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
That sorta rules out March then. :(

Was the GI help in how you go about sorting a GI in the UK?

Dusty. xxx

Catherine

Had 5 minute phone call to discuss the fc and give a head up about the overseas trip.

GI did mention trying to get her into a large GI clinic where a lot of Australian doctors go to complete further GI training.

Boyfriend has a friend who is a UK GP. Boyfriend has been set the job of providing name and where in London he works.

Catherine

GI appointment.

Slight anemia. Faecal calprotectin 198. Weight 58kg (GI is happy with weight, Sarah is not)

GI tried hard to have Sarah understand the importantance of staying on her meds. Most people flare when going overseas.

Boyfriend did not provide name of doctor.

Sarah is already saying she can't afford to stay on her meds while in England:shifty: I can't say this surprises me.

She doesn't have enough funds available for the trip she is planning. She believes they will be able to find work in England to support themselves.:ywow:

We are in the hard position now of needing to step back from medical care to prepare her for overseas. But at the same time needing to have her as healthy as possible before she leaves. We have to make sure had bloods done before close to departure.

So that my update

Last edited:
Watching kids make their own mistakes is one of the parts of having young adults I'm not looking forward to.

I'd suggest getting her to do a budget. Good to encourage her to look at job adds and see what sorts of work she thinks she could pick up and what it would pay (she might be in for a rude awakening minimum wage in UK isn't good) then have at where she thinks she'll live and cost out accomodation and transport.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
There is a reciprocal health agreement between Australia and the UK Catherine so it would be worth throughly examining what you can and can’t access:

How to Access Reciprocal Agreement NHS Care in UK.

On an extended visit to the UK in 2011 to research family history I ran out of the essential medications brought to UK & so began journey & learning about the entitlements of Australians to NHS treatment whilst visiting the UK.

Many Australians travellers who are covered by Medicare in Australia, may be unaware that they are entitled to reciprical health care from a GP in the UK on the NHS. You are entitled to be treated by a doctor as an NHS patient & the cost of the consultation & prescription medicine prescribed by the doctor will be covered by the NHS the same as if you are a UK Resident. After contacting Medicare in Australia several times whilst I was having problems finding a UK doctor who was aware of & would honour this agreement, the Australian Medicare website now confirms this reciprical health care agreement information very clearly.

Unfortunately the NHS in the UK does not provide clear, precise information about the reciprical health care agreement it has with Australia & the result of this lack of clear information is that every doctor I consulted in the UK - 5 in all over a period of a week was stubbornly of the opinion that they could only treat Australian travellers under the NHS if it was an emergency - defined by them as a life or death situation or an accident. Needing medication for chromic long term health problems were not covered according to them.

Any attempt at reasoning with them or showing them the information was met with rudeness, arrogance & anger. It was extremely upsetting, time wasting & frustrating especially as lack of medication was making pain & other symptoms much worse.

Why persevere? Medications & a consultation for Arthritis, Rheumatism & Chronic Fatigue - normally subsidised by Medicare were going to cost over 400 pounds for a month's supply if not covered by NHS. This figure is far higher than even the non subsidised cost in Australia.

Problem was solved in the end by visiting the head office of the NHS in Glasgow who confirmed that the GP's were wrong in their understanding of the agreement & should have given treatment under the NHS. Their advise was to go to the local hospital accident & emergency centre for treatment.

As soon as I went to the local hospital accident & emergency centre, the treatment & care I received was amazing. All the staff were well aware of the reciprical health agreements the UK has with other countries & I was treated quickly, compassionately & efficiently by their staff who then referred to their 24 After Hours Clinic who treated & supplied prescriptions on the NHS.

Hope this information helps other Australian travellers who find themselves in a similar situation.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g186216-c170541/United-Kingdom:Medical.Nhs.Care.For.Australians.html