• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Longtime Crohns/Colitis sufferer

I was diagnosed with Crohns/Colitis 22 years ago. I have arthritis with the crohns which is more severe than the bowel problems. Before being diagnosed with Crohns/Colitis they checked 3 times for rheumatoid arthritis which they were sure that I had. Through the bloodwork nothing showed. After I was diagnosed it seemed that whenever I was heading for a flareup the arthritic symptoms presented first and then the bowel flareup much later. I seem to have more issues with the arthritis than the bowel. My GI is setting up an appt. for me to see a rheumatologist..which he has been talking about for years. I pray to god I don't have rheumatoid arthritis. My friend has it and it's crippling. All my best to everyone suffering with this disease.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Karlyn! Welcome to the forum :) I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with arthritis :( We have a subforum dedicated to arthritis if you're interested in connecting with others and reading about what has helped some.

The one thing that always comes to mind for me is Vitamin D. Have you had your vitamin D levels tested? People with Crohn's Disease are commonly deficient and proper supplementation can help alleviate arthritis to a degree.

Again, welcome :)

Angrybird

Hello Karlyn and welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about the problems you are having. Definetly have a good look around as there is plenty of helpful info here.

Wishing you all the best

AB
xx

I also have a heck of a lot of RA symptoms. Before my first HUGE Crohn's flare, my only symptoms were arthritis. My Rhuematologist thought I had JRA but when the GI symptoms showed up, I saw a few GI's and after I got scoped it showed severe Crohn's Disease. I see my Rhuematologist just as much as I see my GI. They usually work together as far as my treatment goes. After talking to my Rhuematologist yesterday & my GI the day before it looks like I'll be switching from Humira to Cimizia. My Rhuematologist has RA himself and he says that a lot of his RA patients have gotten better with Cimizia so we'll see! You should check it out! I know what you mean about the arthritis symptoms sometimes being worse than the Crohn's. I laid in bed monday and couldn't even fit my usually loose ring on my finger because they were so swollen, like sausages.

My Rhuematologist/GI took me off my Apriso and put me on Sulfasalazine. It's supposed to help a lot with joint pain. It is a DMARD. That's also something to consider!

I hope you feel better & everyone around here is amazing & helpful.