• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Keep up the fight!!!..and i have a question

Hey all, I'll start by saying God Bless EVERY1

My story began my 2nd yr of college. I (out the blue) started having chronic Diarrhea and really didn’t think much of it, just got some pepto and went along my merry way. I didn’t come concerned until the stomach pain became constant after I ate. I then started noticing blood being lost as well. Being that I was a broke college student I only could afford to go to a local walk in clinic. The doc (shall remain nameless) just kept throwing pills at me, I even went to the ER 3am one morning just 2 get more pills thrown at me. During a break I came home and my grandmother was shocked when she laid eyes on me being that I was skin and bones. (I didn’t think I lost any weight but when u see urself every day who would?) She made me go to another clinic at home to see if I could get help, this new doc told me “ I don’t think there is actually anything wrong with you, I think you have a case of the nerves since you’re away from home”. U wouldn’t believe how fast I left that damn office. When I went back to college after my break I made another trip to the local walk in clinic and after visiting my doctor/pill pusher, my grandmother proceeded to fuss him out and he FINALLY referred me to a local GI. When I finally got to my appointment, just from my conversation with him the GI already knew I had crohns but did a colonoscopy to confirm. I was diagnosed with crohns disease in May 2005. I was prescribed Asacol 400mg 3xs a day and that was it. After three weeks my symptoms vanished and being that the medicine cost so much I lowered my dosage to once a day and remained in remission until March of this year…I THINK. The earliest they could get me into a GI appointment is June 28th (this was March when they made the appointment) lol!!! I don’t have any stomach pain but I’ve been nauseous! And that has NEVER been a symptom for me, esp when I wasn’t having pain or losing blood or any other sign that I could be having a flare up. I’m not sure if I’m having a flare up or if something else medically is going on with me. Any1 has any ideas:sign0144:? I just pray for every1 who is struggling with their health. Please feel free to ask me ANYTHING.

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community. Thank you for sharing your story! Thank goodness for your grandmother huh? :)

I understand they did a colonoscopy, but did they ever do any tests to determine if you had active disease in other areas of your digestive tract? Namely higher up in your small intestines?

Thank you again for joining. We're happy to help any time :)

Hey David!

And yes the colonoscopy was the only test I had run. Do u think it might have spread or went unchecked higher up in my digestive system. As I said before even at my VERY worse with crohns, nausea was never an issue. Thats one feeling I have a very low tolerence for :( I'm sure most ppl feel the same. I didn't have any other symptoms at all, and at the time it did start I was very stressed out. Thats y im so curious if this is actually crohns related or if I messed around and gave myself an ulcer or got some other medical issue

David

Co-Founder
It's hard to say for sure if you have disease higher up, but in my opinion, if someone is diagnosed with Crohn's Disease then the full extent of the disease should be mapped so proper treatment can be provided. If you do indeed have disease higher up, the asacol probably wouldn't help much if at all.

The nausea could be due to disease higher up, a side effect of your current medication, or other potential problems. That must be terrible to be experiencing :( Do you think it's possible to get something for the nausea to tide you over until your GI appointment? I know some here have used ginger tea and other holistic remedies successfully but most utilize prescription meds to help with the nausea.

Welcome to the forum, as usual David said all there's to be said. I just wanted to add that I use over the counter motion sickness to help with my nausea. When I told my GI he said its okay. I drink peppermint tea as well which helps me a lot to keep it down.

All Good Advice David, thank you. Do side effects usually show up after u been on it for years or is that not norm? I also been on bc for a year and haven't had a side effect but am thinking about stopping to see if that's whats causing it.

Welcome to the forum, as usual David said all there's to be said. I just wanted to add that I use over the counter motion sickness to help with my nausea. When I told my GI he said its okay. I drink peppermint tea as well which helps me a lot to keep it down.
So when u have nausea thru this disease is it an all the time thing or is it just during a flare up?

Trysha

Staff member
I get nausea with a flare, but crohns patients can vary with different symptoms.
I find ginger helps and also gravol if I have to.
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

UPDATE: I know I haven't replied in a long time but this is an update on my sistuation. I got a scope done of my throat and tummy, come to find out its just acid reflux!!!!! Thanks for all the prayers, Still going strong in remission and pray for the same for all my fellow Crohnians!!!