• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prepping for capsule endoscopy now

UGH! Thats all I can say. I have celiac diagnosed almost two years ago due to a small bowel intususception..I have no idea how to spell that. But, have been on the gluten free diet. Prior to that, dating back to my age of 10 I can remember symptoms and was told I had IBS. I just found out a year ago my daughter has celiac as well. Since being on the gf diet I have had symptoms again. I thought everyone lived feeling tired, bloated, puffy, in a fog, in pain, and waking up at night with diarrhea...

Not so..to get diagnosed for celiac I had a blood test, endoscopy, colonoscopy and so many scans to make sure the slight blockage was gone i REALLY cant even remember them all.

Now, I have had the prometheus lab test for crohns and UC but get this!!! the inflammatory markers came back for both! I also had a ct of abdomen and small bowel series which didn't show much. Since the symptoms are still there, the GI doctor says I should have the capsule endoscopy. To my relief, it is mostly listed as positive on this site, so I am glad I am getting it tomorrow. I am SICK of living like this. Encouragement anyone??

rygon

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately find something that helps can be a long process, but if you do get diagnosed at least you are going in the right direction.

Good luck for tomorrow

Good luck with the prep for it, hope it goes well and they get some definitive pics to help with a way forward.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum, sorry to hear that you are not doing well at the moment :( Will be keeping fingers crossed that you can get a definitive diagnosis soon and the treatment you need. Good luck for tomorrow pls keep us updated on how you get on.

AB
xx

Did mine on Monday and still waiting for results. To me it was more painful then a colonoscopy, but then again I'm mid flare. It just hurt where my inflammation was.

Hopefully all goes well! It's not too much of a nuisance, though prepping for any scope isn't fun.

It wasn't too bad. I felt a little trapped in all the apparatus, but I am SO glad it is over with. I can't wait to get the results and to try to move on with everything. Thank you for the words of encouragement. It is so nice to be able to talk to people that have been in the same situation! Now as long as the camera comes out like it is supposed to I am SO relieved that it is over.

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the forum :) I'm glad that your pillcam went well :)

With the symptoms you describe, I'd suggest also asking them to test your vitamin B12 and vitamin D levels if they haven't. I'd bet money you're deficient in at least one.

Again, welcome!

hi all - this is the next diagnosis tool they are going to use on me should the colonocsapy show nothing.

How long does it take to go through your system?

I don't know as I never saw mine come out...they said I may see a flashing light in my poo - but I never did. I hope someone else can be more informative for you

I don't know as I never saw mine come out...they said I may see a flashing light in my poo - but I never did. I hope someone else can be more informative for you
Thanks mate - did you need to wear a belt or anything? How did it store the pictures?

I carried the computer part in a small shoulder satchel and had a belt. It sent the pics to the computer part. I had to check that the blue light was flashing to make sure it was working ok.

I carried the computer part in a small shoulder satchel and had a belt. It sent the pics to the computer part. I had to check that the blue light was flashing to make sure it was working ok.
Thanks mate, sorry for all the questions. How long did you wear it for?

I wore it from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm, it's ok with the questions.

The one I swallowed had a light at one end. My GI said that they are starting to try and develop one with a light at both ends. It's amazing what they are developing.

it took exactly three days for it to come out the other end. You need to make sure it does because you don't want it to get stuck and cause an obstruction. It really wasn't that bad. They put monitor stickers on you and the camera that you swallow (about the size of a big pill) takes pictures the whole time and then stores it in the device you were outside your body. I live in Florida so it was a bit HOT with it on, but really it was worth it because it sees part of the bowel that can't be reached other ways. I would recommend it and I wish you the best.

I am still waiting on my results!